New Lounger
    Thanks

no dial tone - but only on some days

i keep getting no dial tone on my new computer
    - i try reconnecting the phone line to the modem, rebooting the m/c but to no avail, when i try it the following day it works no probs. (seems to be if it doesn't want to connect that day then i doesn't)
    I'm now running winXP with an intel modem

my old m/c never had any problem connecting to the internet and used the same connection point, although i have had to change the cable from 4 pin to 2pin otherwise cannot connect to the net at all.

Any suggestions welcome

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: no dial tone - but only on some days

DJ,
    1.) Do you leave the PC on all the time? 2.) Does it go into standy or hibernation? 3.) Do you have the most current modem driver? 4.) Have you checked the power management setting for the modem?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

i don't leave the pc on all the time, only on for about 5-6hrs at the most
    It does go into standby - but have tried setiching machine off, unplugging and reinserting modem cable and then turning back on
    Will check for a newer driver as i suspect it is using the one from WinXP Driver database

but as for the power management - i can't really see what i settings i can change

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

DJ, Start the device manager and get to the properties page for the modem. There should be a power management tab. On the power management tab, if the box for 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is checked - uncheck it.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Some UK telephones have a different dial tone if there is a voice mail message waiting for the user. This causes windows to report no dial tone until the messages have been collected.

StuartR

Thanks

Hi, DJ ~

Go to:<UL><LI>'Control Panel' > 'Printers and Other Hardware' > 'Phone and modem Options'
    <LI>'Modems' tab > 'Properties' button > 'Power Management' tab
    <LI>Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
    <LI>Check 'Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby'
    <LI>'OK' > 'Apply' > 'OK'[/list]

New Lounger
    Thanks

US phones also have a different dial tone if you have voice mail enabled. However there is a way around this. In XP under the control panel, phone and modem options,modems, properties,advanced Extra Initilization settings.(although there has to be a shorter way) Try using a disable call waiting ini string for your modem (check with whoever makes your modem)
    Also with 98 i had to tweak my dun settings do dial *70 to disable call waiting (which was the same as my ini string) Sometimes its 70#. I dont know if you have to do this with XP or not. Again to be sure of the ini code check with the manufacturer of your modem. If you have voice mail this is most likely the cause of your problems.

Thanks

No one seems to have asked the "dumb" question, so I will.
    Do you still have dial tone on your regular telephone when the computer reports, no dial tone?
    Do you use a splitter on the phone line to access it from the computer? If so, remove it temporarily and plug direct to test it. Those splitters were troublemakers.
    Also, If I remember my dial up days, it seems there was an option to adjust the time interval for dial tone detection. Maybe lengthening the time a little would be worth a try.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!