Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple Front End copies on Secured DB (A2K sp3 / no-sp)

Hi folks,

I have recently set up an encrypted db with user permissions defined, and created shortcuts on each user's desktop to point to the encrypted file and secure.mdw workgroup settings. In pointing everyone to the same front end, we are getting frequent database corruption messages (that fortunately are repairable). My first thought was that since user's workstations were on non-SP Office versions, and the server was on SP1a, that the corruption may have been introduced by some possible incompatibilities between them. After searching the posts, I found the pretty common suggestion to give each user a copy of the front end in order to avoid the corruption problems. My question is, how does this work with the user permission scenario? If everyone has their own copy, how do you reliably secure access to the back end (not to mention each of the front ends)?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie T.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple Front End copies on Secured DB (A2K sp3 / no-sp)

If you have set up security correctly, you will have taken away all rights from the default Access user Admin in both the front end and back end. This means that users trying to bypass your secured .mdw file won't be able to do anything with the front end or back end.

(If you want more info about security, take a look at <!mskb=207793>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 207793<!/mskb>)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have copied the secured front-end database to multiple directories, and set up a short-cut on each desktop to point to the user's directory for the database, but the shared directory for the secured.mdw. It seems to be working fine in that the database still requires login, but we shouldn't have the file corruption problem we've been experiencing.

CharlieT.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think you should probably move a copy of your secured .mdw file to the local workstation as well. We usually do that as well, as .mdw files can also become corrupt. We actually use a tool to deploy both the front-end and the .mdw file - you can find more details on our web site.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'll plan on doing that.
    Incidentally, I notice that although the front end is secured, I can still navigate to the back end and open it without any permissions required. How do I include the back end in secured.mdw? Does it require a second .mdw file, or should I simply encrypt it?

Charlie T.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Encrypting won't really do what you want, but a second MDW file isn't required. Simply open the back-end and apply security to the tables, and that will block unauthorized users from opening it. (Be sure and remove permissions from the Admin account, as that is a common mistake in securing databases.)
    Wendell