Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd Error Message (XP SP-2)

I have a query which has been running great for months, then all of a sudden today, I get the error "Undefined function 'Left' in expression.

The expression is IIF(Left (tblInvoiceMaster ! txtNotes, 1) In ("G", "I"), "IG") - Extra spaces added for readability-
    There are other scenarios after the statement, but trimming the statement to one scenario still nets me the same error. In a test environment, this runs fine. In my production environment I get this error. Why does Access not like the Left function only in the production area?

I have tried copy/paste of the whole statement in test and moved it to the production version - same error.
    It is the only expression within my query using the Left function. When the expression is removed, the query runs.
    I have tried other variations of the IIF statement using "!" between the table and field, and using the wizard to build the command. All attempts get the same error.

Having exhausted all the avenues I have thought of, I figured it was time to pull out the big guns and let the gurus run with this one.

TIA
    Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd Error Message (XP SP-2)

This usually means that there is a missing reference.

With your database open, activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    Select Tools/References...
    Probably, one or more references start with MISSING.
    Note which ones they are, then uncheck each of these.
    Click OK.
    Switch back to Access and try the query.
    If it doesn't help, post back.
    If it does help, there is a chance that the missing references were needed for something else; in that case, you will have to set them again, but with the correct paths.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd Error Message (XP SP-2)

That was it. I set someone up on the database yesterday with the MDAC at 2.7. The other users (including myself) are at 2.5. Thus, the MDAC was changed to 2.7 when the new user looked at the program, and when anybody at a lower level ran it, the program bombed.

I will make sure everybody ( a whole 3 people) is at the same level

Thank you so much for your quick response. Have a great weekend!!

Steve