2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro Recording (Word XP SP1)

When recording macros, I've think I've always used the keyboard to do what I wanted to record. The reason for the question is that someone else in the department went to select text using the mouse and couldn't get the mouse to do anything. The mouse cursor looks like it has a cassette tape hanging on it. I tried my PC with the same results, as did several others in our department. I just can't remember if it's ever worked like that.

Does anyone know if there are mouse limitations or not when recording macros?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro Recording (Word XP SP1)

You *can* use the mouse while recording a macro to select menu items, click toolbar buttons, and select items in the Task Panel.
    You can *not* use the mouse to select text. This is by design. You want a macro to be re-usable; selecting with the mouse would yield unpredictable results when played back. If my memory is correct, this goes back to Word 6 at least.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans makes a very valid point regarding "programmed" text selection, and its unpredictable results. But if text selection from a macro is what you really want, the oft' forgotten F8 key can be used for the purpose. Its function is described as enabling the cursor control keys to extend the selection. The EXT label in the status bar "switches on" when this mode is functional.

If such a macro is to produce the correct results though, the cursor position will have to be appropriately located before the macro is played back.

Alan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, folks. That's what I thought. Just trying to see if my brain was down a few cells today.