Lounger
    Thanks

Setting HTML as Default Format

I have experienced in OL2000, the inability to maintain HTML as the default Mail format (Tools/Options/Mail Format). It will work fine for a while, then something (its always something) happens and I get the error, "Cannot Open Word." You check the mail format and the HTML has lost its check mark. You can rectify it by using the Close Program window and closing WinWord. Then reset the default to HTML and it works.

I upgraded my harddrive over the holidays and had to rebuild it from scratch, loading everything from system disks. This was happening on the old hardrive. I thought this would be one of the problems rebuilding from scratch would resolve (silly me). I have not loaded any of the Office SR patches. Do I need to in order to resolve this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Williams
    Nortel Networks
    Durham NC

System details
    Dell Lattitude CPi A366
    Win 98 SE
    Office 2000

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting HTML as Default Format

A lot of people are reading of my problem but no one seems to have any ideas about it? Am I the only person troubled by this?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

well, i don't use HTML or word as the editor and discourge my users from using either, so i really can't say that i have seen the problem before. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    any idea what is causing the error message? can you repro any steps that cause it?
    are you using corp mode or IMO? see help > about if unsure.

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for your thoughts.
    Why don't you recommend the HTML format? I have found it to be one of the better aspects of Outlook from a user perspective.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I prefer NOT to receive HTML type email. You will also find that some email programs can NOT read HTML.
    HTML email has a lot of blot in it, on a slow connection it takes more time to download. I am on cable (700-900K speed) but I still prefer plain text.

Some fonts and colors are very hard to read.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

personally, as long as you can send email, having html format or not is not a big deal. i don't use html except on the very few occassions that fancy text will help get my point across, and have never heard of your problem so I really don't know what to suggest. sorry.

most modern mail clients will do html and outlook sends it in two parts for those that can't - so they get a plain text version but a lot of people who have been on the internet a long time just like plain text. It's smaller (for modem users) and can't carry hidden viruses and trojans.

For those who don't like html:
    Outlook has two addins that strip or disable HTML. I use both. (WYB, http://www.grinningshark.com to strip it and Chilton Preview, http://www.slipstick.com to read mail without rendering it)

ril

As for HTML email, many users despise it due to the reasons Mary mentioned.

Thanks for the great links, Mary. Those 2 packages look very interesting. However, it doesn't look like the Grinning Shark package (Watch You Back) works with POP servers at all (according to their FAQ), which will eliminate it's use by most IMO users.

Also, the Chilton Preview info says it is shareware, but doesn't mention anything about cost, expiration periods, or anything else. A little strange. I wonder how well it is supported.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i thought WYB works on pop mail for html stuff. it doesn't work with pop for it's initial reason for creation, which was to block read receipts.

chilton is $5. has no expiry date (relies on the users integerity) and is supported. Gil will answer your questions, if you have any, which you probably won't. Chilton also is one of the easiest ways to bypass the attacment block of email security patch released this summer and also included in SR2. There is a home page for it somewhere, i can't remember where [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img], but it's easier to find at slipstick.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, just because you have the capability to do something doesn't mean the world needs it. Plain text is faster, easier, always works and gets the message across which is what it's supposed to do. It's also safer and with the nut cases out there trying to cause you greif why do we need it.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

preed

Are you running any virus scanning software on this PC, i.e., Norton AntiVirus?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Norton. I didn't think about that. Any idea how to deal with it?

jeff

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

is it scanning the email or just scanning the drive? disable email scanning and see if it helps.

preed

Check out knowledge Base article Q263186

You can get Knowledge Base articles by sending an e-mail message to mshelp@microsoft.com with the Q article number(s) in the subject or search the Knowledge Base from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/searchkb.asp.

Diluvium

Yes, I had this problem when running under NT4. Sometimes, the winword process would not shut down properly. After ending the process through Task Manager it was then possible to restore winword as the default email editor. It was not necessary to close and restart Outlook. The problem went away after I upgraded to W2K.

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks to everyone for a very lively discussion thread. Everyone's contribution has added to my understanding of the problem and I sincerely appreciate it.

Many thanks