3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turn off long on window

I just got a new computer and had them put Windows 2000 on it. This is my first time with Windows 2000 and I don't want to have to hit <ENTER> during boot up to get by the log on window.

When the log on window pops up it has "Administrator" as the user, and the password is blank and not needed since I did not enter a password during the final installation steps. I just hit <ENTER> and proceed with the boot up.

Is there a way to turn off this log on window entirely?

Thanks,
    BH Davis

Thanks

Re: Turn off log on window

I think TweakUI is the acknowledged answer to this. See also JSI Tip #0004.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Turn off long on window

Before you abandon the accounts and passwords, I think you need to learn more about Win2K.

For starters I would NOT be using "The Administrator" account for my daily use. Make a account with admin permissions. Give "The Administrator" account a very strong password, that you can remember. When you need this back door you will have it. If you continue to use the administrator account, and you need a back door, it will be called "format and rebuild".

Along this same line did you build the OS using Fat32 or NTFS? If NTFS, you are going to need to do the above all the more.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

This machine is not networked. It is my stand alone computer on my desk in my own home....so network security is not an issue.

I had read about setting up a separate account from the "administrator" but thought it not an issue for my situation. Could you elaborate a bit.

Thanks for your time,
    BH Davis

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

One of the things that seems to inevitably happen is that you boot your PC and are unable to logon to the account you normally use. You can find no way around it. If you have a 'relatively clean' Administrator account many times you can still boot with that logon. Then you have full administrative privileges to try to debug or change your system to recover to normal operation.

Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yep. I don't think I have used my Admin. account in 3 or 4 months and that was just out of bordem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with everyone that has previously posted. Make a separate user account with admin privilages and then if you want you can just check the box that lets you logon without a password and upon boot up, windows will blast right through the logon screen without any intervention from you.