New Lounger
    Thanks

Recovering toolbars in Word

Hi there!
    After a MS Word 2000 crash, I lose my two customized (additional) toolbars.
    I read somewhere - but can't recall where - that there is a way of saving customized toolbars in Word for later recovery.
    Can anyone tell me anything about this?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Recovering toolbars in Word

Word saves the toolbars in the template, so if you were using normal.dot then they ought to be saved there. But for this to happen, once you have created your toolbars, you have to say yes to the question 'Changes have been made that affect the global template normal.dot Do you want to save changes to normal.dot?' on exiting Word. If you have done that already, and normal.dot has not been corrupted, then you ought to be able to get the toolbars back by right clicking anywhere on a toolbar and selecting them off the list.

Ian

Thanks

I know the feeling. I lost some custom menus in Outlook. At least in Word you can save backup copies of your templates. But then the challenge is to get the toolbar from the backup to the new "clean" template.

Over the past couple of years we have had at least two or three threads on how to copy or move toolbars from one template to another. If you try some searches on this board or the VB/VBA board, you probably can find them. I think there are some solutions, though they might not be pretty.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

1. First, make sure which template you saved these toolbars in.
    2. If you saved them in normal.dot, then if you saved normal.dot without having a backup template, you're out of luck. For what it's worth, always make backup copies of normal.dot. I keep about 4 of them, so that if I make changes I don't want or if it becomes corrupt or infected with a virus, I can go back in time without losing everything.
    3. You may have saved them in a different template which is not in the startup folder. If so, go to Tools/Templates & add-ins, click Add, & look for that template. If you find it, it's toolbars will then become available. If you find your toolbars there, they will only be available if you attach the template to a document, place a checkmark next to the template name in Tools/Templates & add-ins, or place the template in the startup folder that is selected under Tools/Options/File Locations/Startup. (or if it's in the Microsoft Office startup folder).