New Lounger
    Thanks

USB HDD not recognised on start-up (XP Home/5.1)

I have just acquired an Iomega 120GB HDD for back-up. It works fine BUT XP does not recognise it if I leave it plugged in during booting. (If, after booting with it plugged in, I un-plug and re-plug it XP throws an error message about a device conflict - even though the device is not showing correctly in Device Manager.)

I talked to Iomega support who were entirely unhelpful - merely stated that it must be a BIOS problem. I am very wary of messing with the BIOS without very clear guidance.

The HDD is plugged directly to a USB-2 port (no hub).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB HDD not recognised on start-up (XP Home/5.

If you're nervous about it, you may need to locate a friend who is EXPERIENCED at working in the BIOS. Most fairly recent BIOSs have a place to enable or disable USB and in my Intel motherboard, the default is DISABLED. Do you have any other USB devices in use or have you yet had, so we might have an idea IF it is enabled already? Did this hard drive come with any drivers? Sometimes getting the drivers for a USB device may take a couple of re-boots to get through the whole process.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB HDD not recognised on start-up (XP Home/5.1)

Hi

Yes, I have other USB devices that work just fine (two different cameras, a scanner and a photo printer). The printer is plugged in permanently and is recognised OK every time. THe cameras are only plugged in to permanently mounted USB leads when needed, and are always recognised correctly.

The printer is a USB-2 device, but the cameras are USB-1.

The USB device is a 5 port PCI card from Belkin. The only thing their support site suggests is check for driver updates from Microsoft - as far as I can see there are none (unless they are buried in SP1 - which I have not yet installed).

Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, hang on to see if another Lounger has any ideas. My USB experience is limited to my Palm, camera and a universal memory stick reader. I would have thought the hard drive would have some drivers with the device, but I have no personal experience in that area. Hang on.....

Banned Member
    Thanks

If it is new.
    Go to My Computer, Control Panal,Administration Tools, Computer Management , Storage, Disk Management , Right Click on the unallocated space to {Create Partition} and follow the instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to those who responded. The answer appears to be - I say appears because I have not fully checked the results yet - to install Service Pack 1a. Although the correct USB drivers were in place it seems that there are other changes related to USB in the SP. The signs so far are good, although installing the SP screwed up my TCP/IP settings, but that is another story for another place.

So much for USB being the answer to all peripheral connection issues.

Richard