New Lounger
    Thanks

Two Users/One Scanner (Windows XP Home ED)

I recently put together my first machine and loaded the OEM version of XP Home that I purchased with some of the components. Everything has gone well except for the following: I have XP set up for two users, both with admin privilages. I also installed an old HP scanner, 3200c, after getting updated software from HP. The scanner works fine for me. However, when the other user logs on and tries to start the Precision Scan LT software, he gets a message that says "There is a problem with the registry. One or more settings were reset to the default value [2099]. Then another message appears that states that the scanner is locked (its not). This happens whether the other user logs on alone or with me already on. Any suggestions on what's happening and how to fix it would be appreciated. HP, after charging me $25 for a support call says their software is working and that it is an OS problem. My OEM supplier says they don't offer Tech support. MS is unresponsive because its OEM software.
    Thanks.
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Two Users/One Scanner (Windows XP Home ED)

Logon as second user, go to Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add new Programs button on the left pane and install the Precision Scan LT software once again.

In the future, always install software from Control Panel (it's called "Installation Mode"), this way the program will be available for all users.

New Lounger
    Thanks

kaplinb,
    Tried this last night with no positive result. I even uninstalled the program and reinstalled with your recommended method but it will still only work for the "user" that installed it. If the second user installs it again he ends up with a scanner not recognized message.
    Do you have any further thoughts? I appreciate your help.
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Bill, If you are sure that the user under which you installed the software has administrative rights then it appears to be a problem with the HP install routine. You could try boot ing in safe mode as the machine Administrator and installing there. Otherwise, I think you need to demand help from HP. Ask to speak to a supervisor.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yep. I'm sure. Man! I hate trying to communicate with those guys. If you send e-mail, all you get back are canned answers that sometimes aren't even related to your problem. If you get them on the phone, they want to charge you $25. You are probably right. But they have already told me they think it's an OS problem (go away kid and don't bother me). Maybe I'll try again.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks

Bill, They did not help before. It is likely that their install routine is not set up for an XP multi-user environment. They should be able to help.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

That seem to be most likely. The software is a whole new Precision Scan LT replacement program (about 40 MB) that they developed for XP to correct a "scanner not recognized" problem. However, during the install there is warning that it is an unsigned driver (meaning it is not MS tested and approved). Considering that it works only half way, I can see why. I guess I'm going to have to go back to HP. After my last experience with them, I think I would rather have a root canal . Have you heard of anyone else having the problem?
    Thanks for the help
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks

Bill, Not specifically with HP. Have seen various install problems from any number of vendors. One of the most frequent problems you see with XP is installing software with a non-administrative account. You already said the user is an administrator. I'm only running XP Pro and am not very familar with XPH.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Bill,

Have you tried the solution on the HP website at HP Scanjet 3200C Scanner - Error Message: Problem Using Registry, Error 2099?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    Yes I have followed this procedure several times with the same results; either the scanner doesn't work at all or only works for one user. EXCEPT TONIGHT! (oops. sorry). I don't know why and I ain't going to question it. I reinstalled the software for the last time. I said to myself, self, I'm going to get this thing working for one user or the other and then live with it that way. Lo and behold. It now works for both users. As far as I know, I did everything just as before but...as I said, I ain't going to question it.
    Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions. They kept me trying.
    Bill