New Lounger
    Thanks

Control Source (Access2000)

Hi
    Is it possible to have a text box with an equation statement in the Control Source property box but also be able to get the equation result into a Table.
    E.g.On a form I have Textbox3 =[Textbox1]+[Textbox2] in the Control source, but I would like the answer to go into Table1's Total column along with textbox2 and textbox2's data. Is this possible or do I need some code?
    Thanks
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Control Source (Access2000)

You would need code, but it isn't advisable. Any time you can calculate the value, you should not store it in a table. The problem is that if one of the values that created it gets changed, the calculated value won't change to match.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I see that make sense. Say that I have three columns in a table CostA, CostB and totalC is there anyway at the totalC cloumn would add these two values (CostA and CostB) together in the table from?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To repeat what Charlotte wrote, you shouldn't have a TotalC column in the table.The preferred way is as follows:
    <UL><LI>Create a query based on the table.
    <LI>Add CostA and CostB (and any other field you need) to the query grid.
    <LI>Create a calculated field TotalC:[CostA]+[CostB] in the query grid.
    <LI>Save the query and use it as record source for forms and reports instead of the table; you can also build new queries on it.[/list]This way, TotalC will always be up-to-date. If you put a field TotalC into the table, you run the risk that CostA or CostB gets changed, but TotalC doesn't. Access doesn't have triggers that fire automatically when a value in a table is changed; you can only do this in a form. Besides, storing the result of a calculation in a table means that you are storing redundant information.

(There is one exception: if you have a very complicated expression that would take an inordinate amount of time to recalculate everytime, you might store the result in the table. But a simple addition hardly merits that description...)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    I did not know that you could calculate in a Querys, you have been a great help
    Thanks
    John