2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hibernation on laptop (XP Home)

My Compaq Presario 700 won't restore from hibernation any more. It did this once a few months back, but soon after the HD went and I got a new HD put in under warrany. I could do without this!

On rebooting, a blue screen with a load of text flashes up for half a second then I have the option to retry, whcih ends in a loop, or to reboot and to delete the backup data held. Can any suggest anything to check?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hibernation on laptop (XP Home)

You could have a bad hibernation file (hyberfil.sys). In the power options of the Control Panel disable (eliminate the option) to hibernate. Run CHKDSK with the option to find bad sectors and reboot. Defrag your harddrive and then re-enable hibernation. This will give you a new hyberfil.sys file and since you ran a defrag prior, it should be created (If you have enough contiguous space) without being fragmented. Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks Sinjin, I got the idea and could turn hibernation on and off, but no .sys file with the name given in XP Home. A quick search of the internet left me with the idea that hyberfil.sys is a Win2000 sys file? Any further suggestion?

Will

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A possibility...
    Do you have the option to view all files turned on as this might be a hidden, system type of file?
    My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View, ensure that option is enabled.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The hiberfil.sys is both an XP and W2K system file. You need to change your default search engine to Google and you will find thousands of pages showing you it is an NT5x (XP + W2K) file. It exists as a hidden system file as Jester has stated. It also only exists when hibernation is enabled. If you disable hibernation it goes away. That is why I suggested the procedure in my previous post. If your operating system has something broken to the point of not being able to create a hiberfil.sys file then you might want to search the JSI tip dtabase starting with this http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBH/tip3600/rh3631.htm page to create a new file manually.

Banned Member
    Thanks

A friend told me this, remove the CMOS battery for 5 min. to reset BIOS are try this below. He had same problem.

Try resetting the BIOS by following these procedures :

1) Shut down the laptop completely. 2) Remove any devices that are attached to the laptop, including PCMCIA Cards. 3) While the laptop is off hold down the FN key, slide the power switch on and start tapping the F10 key continuously. (hold down the FN key through the entire procedure). 4) The laptop may be turning on and off at this time, if so, keep tapping until the laptop has cycled on and off 4 or 5 times. 5) You will get an error message stating: "162 system options not set" 6) Select the F1 key to save changes, the laptop will now reboot.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I believe you will find this is overkill for the hibernation issue.

The previous post regarding the hibernation file deletion and recreation or flat out disabling hibernation (not a bad idea even for desktops) should resolve the issue.

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Banned Member
    Thanks

Could be, I really have never had that problem so I'm not sure. Just relayed a message. Me myself I don't use Hibernation, never have liked it. Messes with my Hard Disk space and Defrag. I think he should try your Idea 1st and go from there.

Thanks

Hi, Will ~

With HP/Compaq notebooks being a breed unto their own, problems similar to this have been resolved by installing the latest video drivers from the Compaq site.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much, everyone, I'll report back on how I get on!