David Cristallo

Querying Access db from Excel

Hi Excellers,

I know this is not really an Excel subject but don't crucify me...
    Let's say, I've got one access table, tblCountries, with a list of countries and their associated abbreviation and ISO code. From Excel, I would like to retrieve, for a given country abbreviation, the corresponding ISO code. Is it possible to retrieve this information without using a recordset to store the returned ISO code ?

TIA,
    David

Access 97 & Excel 97 under NT4
    Excel 2000 & Access 2000 under NT5

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Querying Access db from Excel

I am not quite sure if you want to know if you can do this from Excel or from Access. In Excel you can use the formula VLOOKUP(Countrycode,Range,2,false) to find th corresponding ISO code of the countrycode, assuming that you search in the "Range" in the second column and you want an exact fit (= false).

David Cristallo

Hi Hans,

To clarify my question, I just need to query an Access database from Excel and my question is: is it possible to retrieve a single value using a SQL query with the DAO technology or do I need to use the recordset object to achieve this task ? I would of course prefer a solution that does not require any recordset object. Any idea ?

TIA,
    David

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think you either need to use a recordset object or you can try communicating directly from Excel to your Access application via DDE. I don't know what the possibilities are in Excel via Data >> Get External Data >> Create New Query.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you referrring to DAO because you already have a VBA program into which this requirement must be incorporated?

If you just want to retrieve values using the user interface (no programming), you can use Data, Get External Data, Create New Query... from the Excel menu and follow the prompts.

Jeremy

David Cristallo

Hi Jeremy,

I do need to use DAO because I implement query functionalities in my Excel project.

David

David Cristallo

I will investigate the DDE possibilities.

Thanks for your help,
    David

Thanks

Hi David,
    Just as a matter of interest, why don't you want to use a recordset? To my mind, even if you only retrieve one field value, it's still a recordset.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

David Cristallo

Hi Rory,

I've been told that the use of a recordset would decrease the performance of my procedure. That's why I would like to know if I can instead use a SQL query that would return its result in a private variable defined in my proc. I just want to implement the best solution...

David

Thanks

Hi David,
    Simple answer is that an SQL query will, by definition, return a recordset. If your query is written to only return one field (the ISO code as I recall) then I don't imagine this will result in a performance hit anyway - you open the recordset, assign the value to a variable or cell and then immediately destroy the recordset. How you write it though would depend on how your app works - if you're going to be doing the same thing for a lot of different countries (i.e. running the same query over and over again) it might be easiest to run it once to retrieve all the data and then store the data in an array or on a worksheet. You can then use lookups to retrieve the ISO code for each required country.
    Does that help?
    I use this exact procedure in a number of my workbooks and, just for info, one of them runs a query 52 times (for different lines of business) and then enters the info into various cells on 52 different sheets. On a PII 233 on NT4 network it took about 20 seconds or so.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

David Cristallo

Thank you for your help Rory. Now I know the appropriate technique that should be implemented.

Thanks again,
    David