2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MRU List (Word 2k sr1)

Hi all. I have a weird situation. The MRU list in Word (from the File menu) doesn't appear. I do not have the utility installed (as referenced in many other posts) that disables the selection of the MRU files from Tools|Options--I am able to set that value to whatever I'd like and it holds. The problem seems to be that the MRU list has been removed from the File menu, and I cannot figure out how to re-add it. A search through the Customize window did not find anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks.

Jen

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MRU List (Word 2k sr1)

This probably means that the Data key for Word in the registry has become corrupt (something that seems to happen quite often). See Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000)<!/post>, in particular the part about deleting the Data key.

Thanks

If I choose Tools>Customize... and drop down the File menu, there is a placeholder there for the MRU, but in "real time," our document management system somehow zaps out the list. If you check with Tools>Customize... and the placeholder isn't there, then I'm not sure how to restore it: it doesn't seem to be on any of the obvious lists on the Commands tab of the dialog.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting; you're right, the placeholder is there but the DMS (PC DOCS) must be controlling it (even though Docs has been uninstalled from this machine). I can't get to any properties on the placeholder, though, to figure this out. I've avoided doing anything with the Data key because this behavior is consistent across multiple machines. Removing the key did resolve the issue on a single machine, though, but I wasn't experiencing any of the other "problems" mentioned in Phil Rabichow's message so I am not sure the key was actually corrupt; perhaps it was a legacy setting from the DMS.

I can't help but think there should be a way to reset that particular item without deleting the whole key, though. Perhaps that is wishful thinking...

Jen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As a follow up to my last post--deleting the Data key worked on that machine...until it was rebooted. After reboot, the MRU is missing again.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this a networked PC? If so, perhaps there is a policy that prevents the MRU list from being saved permanently.