Thanks

Stability of Access XP (XP / SP2)

Two of us in our office are developing databases in Access XP. Mine is about 7 meg.
    Almost daily, there is a failure; usually just after writing a query; between the time of writing and viewing.
    Sometimes we can save and sometimes not.

We have been dutifully sending in the Error Reports (do they really go anywhere?) and
    have seen a few suggestions. The latest was to get JET 4.0 SP7
    Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Stability of Access XP (XP / SP2)

I've been running XP for nearly 2 years and not seen those kind of stability problems, so it probably has something to do with your environment. So some environment questions are in order:
    <UL><LI>Do you have other versions of Office installed as well?
    <LI>Is your LAN a solid one with not apparent hardware problems?
    <LI>Are you saving your database on a server or on the local hard drives?
    <LI>Are you both developing in the same database?
    <LI>Are you using Visual Source Safe?
    <LI>Are your hardware configurations identical, or nearly so, and what video card and driver are you using?
    <LI>What is the actual crash message you are getting?
    <LI>How long have you been getting crashes (if it's recently started, what has changed with your systems)?[/list]I'll probably think of some more, but that should be enough to get the debugging process started.
    Wendell

Thanks

1. No other versions of Office but do have Visual Studio
    2. Solid LAN -- 35 other people have no problems
    3. Saving to server
    4. Developing in different DBs on different servers
    5. Don't have Source Safe installed
    6. I have desktop and the other is on laptop
    7. "Access has detected and error. Do you want to close and compact" or something to that effect.
    8. Started when I created my DB about 2 months ago. Some days I go all day without a crash. Last Friday it died 6 times.

I may have started on Access in the last six months, but I have been an Excel developer for 12 years without these probs.
    Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well, for one thing, Access is a very different beast from Excel - but it shouldn't be crashing nearly as frequently as your experience. I presume you are doing a regular compact and repair on your database, and I also presume you have the database split into a front-end and a back-end. This is strictly a guess, but Visual Studio is a distinct possibility as the cause of your problems - especially if it was installed after OfficeXP. There are known problems related to some of the VB6 DLLs overwriting their Access counterparts.

New questions:
    Are you using Access2000 format databases or or Access2002 format databases?
    Is you back-end an Access database, or is it an ODBC data source?
    One suggestion:
    Try doing work on a copy of the database on your local hard drive and see if you still get crashes - if you do crash that would pretty well eliminate the LAN as a suspect and probably indict the Office install as the source of your crashes. In nearly two years, I've seen only two crashes in AccessXP - that covers a number of databases at a number of clients and a number of workstations - and suggests to me that it's something in your specific environment. You may also want to try a repair on your office installation.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unlike Wendell, I see frequent crashes during development, but we *are* using Visual Source Safe, so I'm not sure how much of the blame to lay there. The fact is that the backup function when the database crashes appears to be somewhat unreliable. I've had it keep trying and keep failing, and the database it backs up has the same fatal flaw as the one that crashed originally. However, I have also found that in my case it has almost always been associated with code that is partially completed or just plain bad. I'm working on some very complex apps, and it can be horribly frustrating to be in the middle of making a code change when the thing blows up. Then the code is bad automatically and I eventually wind up pulling out a new version.

One thing I have discovered, though, is that you can sometimes create a new database and import all the objects from the one that got toasted, and that new database will run nicely without the problems that plagued the original. That makes me suspect that something in the database itself , perhaps in one of the system tables, gets corrupted and causes the problems. I've had as many as 3 crashes in the same day and then gone for weeks with nary a crash on the same database, so it seems to be the luck of the draw.
    Charlotte