rhorth_work

Windows 2000 and dlookup

Has anybody ran across performance issues with Access 2000 running on Windows 2000 specifically with queries using dlookup? I've got queries using dlookup that take up to 100x longer when running on Windows 2000 versus Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95. I've checked the references and they are all identical, as are the indexes. I've searched the web and technet and am at a lost. I'm not sure what to check next other than having to change the 50+ queries using dlookup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert Orth

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 and dlookup

There are issues with Windows 2000 and Access 2000, but I'm not aware of any that specifically involved domain aggregate functions. However, Dlookup is inherently slow in queries and is really better suited to looking up a single value for a single use, not a single value for each record in a query. Using a subquery is usually much faster.
    Charlotte

rhorth_work

Thanks for the reply Charlotte. I'm aware that dlookup is much slower in queries, but unfortunately this is an inherited database. There are 50+ queries utilizing the dlookup and it would take considerable time to change. If that is what I have to do then I'm resigned to that course of action, I was just hoping that this was a known issue with a quick fix, seeing as it works flawlessly on another OS. Oh well. Wishful thinking.

You mentioned known issues with Windows 2000 and Access 2000. Can you elaborate or point me to a resource listing these?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the Microsoft Knowledgebase at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?ln=en-us&sd=gn>http://search.support.microsoft.com/...ln=en-us&sd=gn</A>
    Charlotte

rhorth_work

Thanks Charlotte. I actually went there first. Plus my company has a technet subscription which I checked.

I finally caved and called Microsoft. The issue is a non-public known issue (it apparently occurred 1 time prior) with Jet 4.0 SP4. Queries using functions (such as dlookup, iif, abs, etc.) would take an inordinate amount of time to run. Looks like it wasn't only dlookup, that just happened to be the only function running in our queries. Upgrading to SP5, which was a 3 MB download, solved the issue. Our Windows 2000 builds started with SP1, then Office 2000 SR1 was installed over that along with assorted security updates and patches. Somewhere in there, we ended up with Jet 4.0 SP4.

Thanks again for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although it's hard to keep up with the Jet service packs, it's always a good idea to apply them. They cure a lot of mysterious problems. But make sure that all the machines have the same service pack or you'll get even stranger problems between machines.
    Charlotte