3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crash & Burn (2000)

One of our access databases is displaying the message below.

Anyone know if its recoverable ?., I can't import into a fresh database either.

This is the message shown on opening. it then blows you out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crash & Burn (2000)

The message in your post is very generic; it's impossible to draw any conclusions from it other than that a problem has occurred.

The thread starting at <post#=242485>post 242485</post#> contains some ideas about repairing databases and retrieving data from a corrupt database. If you have a non-corrupt recent backup, it might be easier to go back to that.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Save the database, then try a repair (/repair) as part of the command line startup options. Do this from a shortcut.

Pat

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. it appears that the file is knackered.

Surely someone has designed a database program where all this corruption nonsense doesn't occur ???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 23-Apr-03 06:24. for an afterthought)</P>Databases, by their nature, are delicate creatures and subject to problems like this. The first one I worked with in the late 1970s had corruption problems and so has everyone since then. The XP version of Access seems to blow up more in the development stages than the previous versions, but I suspect that I've forgotten all the AE, GPF, etc., errors I encountered when developing in the earlier versions.

If you can't create a new database and import most or all of the objects from this one, then it is indeed knackered. I must say that I had that happen once, but I was working with Visual Source Safe and was able to pull out an earlier version of the application without any problems and without the errors and reapply the changes I was making. I did it *very* carefully though, because I have a strong suspicion that the catastrophic failures like this are related to code errors that aren't obvious.

BTW, before you try importing objects into a new database, make sure you kill the ldb files from the one that got toasted, and don't try to open it again after you kill the lock files.
    Charlotte