4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Permissions Inconsistency? (XP)

Hi,

On a LAN PC I have created a folder & removed the "Everyone - Full Control" entry.
    I have replaced it with a handful of LAN Users.

The screenshot shows my PC (From Client Side) which seems to show "Full Control" for "Everyone".
    The right hand dialogue box screenshot (From Server Side) shows "Full Control" removed & the "Everyone" group removed; and replaced by a handful of users.

Why is there this inconsistency?
    It seems to be a visual problem, because when I physically try to access the folder as an normal LAN user who hasn't been granted the rights, it won't let me in.

Pls. advise - Thanks,

m.q.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Permissions Inconsistency? (XP)

I would guess that your client PC had previously accessed this folder and has cached the permissions information. A reboot of your client should clear it. Maybe disconnecting and reconnecting the share will be enough.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I have done both these things but my PC is still showing the old info - what shall I do?!

m.q.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's hard from those screen shots, could one of them be looking at the permissions on the Shared Folder and the other looking at the permissions on the Share?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know this is old post so I guess the problem is sorted. However, if anyone else is reading this, just to clear things up, the two screen do show completely different permssions types.

The shot labelled 'client side' shows NTFS security permissions whilst the shot labelled 'server side' shows Share Level permission.

Depending on how the folder (and files within) are accessed determines which and how the permissions are applied.

If the folder is accessed locally on the pc on which it resides you are subject only to the NTFS permissons. So in this case anyone who can log onto the pc will have full control of the folder and its contents.

Your users will access the folder via the Share over the network, they are subject to both the share permission and the NTFS permissions, with the most. restrictive of the two being their overall permission. You say when a normal network user tries to open the folder they are unable to, this is correct according to your screen shots shown, there are not allowed to enter the share by the permissions you have set.

Better practice would be to leave the Share permission at the default and lock down the file using NTFS permissions, i.e. the opposite to the way the screen shots show.