New Lounger
    Thanks

Music won't play anymore, but other sounds will (Windows XP Home)

Save me. Please. This doesn't make any sense. Alright, I will start from the beginning, this happened completely randomly, with nothing leading up to it, besides the many other problems I'm getting. But this one has to do with music in particular. Whenever I try to play a song in Windows Media Player, an error message comes up saying, "Windows Media Player has encountered an unknown error." And that is that. When I use MusicMatch, the error message comes up saying, "The specified format is not supported or cannot be translated. Use the Capability function to determine the supported format." When I use Kazaa to play music, it just won't play. I decided to do a test with a CD, because all the other music I was using was downloaded. When I loaded the CD, the music DID in fact play thru MusicMatch; but it did not play in Windows Media Player - the error didn't come up, and it loaded the songs, but they did not make any sound. I then did a test with downloaded Movies. I played them in Windows Media Player, and they played- with sound. I have reinstalled the [Turtle Beach Santa Cruz] sound drivers, and it is still persistant. What other things can I do to try and fix this problem?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Music won't play anymore, but other sounds will (Windows XP Home)

I seena few things on the Internet and they fixed that problem by Downloading DirectX 9.0. but who knows if that will fix yours , but it might worth a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually that didnt work... but I reinstalled my system files and everything works now.

Banned Member
    Thanks

OK, thats great. Maybe if you give a little more detail on exactly what you did for others on the Lounge that might run into that problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

What I did was actually because I was trying to fix another problem. But what I did was very simple, and not hard to do, especially with Windows XP. I put in the Windows XP cd, and just reinstalled the System Files. ***NOT*** The O.S. But I guess there was a damaged System file, and reinstalling those files fixed it.