2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Locking Files (Access / Thin Client OS)

We're in the middle of converting to a thin client (Citrix) environment and one of the things I have noticed is that the .ldb file no longer displays the hardware ID of the user.

Since the access.exe program is running from the Citrix box I can understand why it is simply displaying the ID of the server but this is a problem since I can no longer tell which users are locking a database.

Does anyone have any experience with Access in a thin client environment?? Anyone encountered this problem...?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access Locking Files (Access / Thin Client OS)

Your experience is why we recommend splitting the database into a front-end and a back-end, and giving each client their own copy of the front-end. You still can have issues with the back-end being locked, which is why we usually recommend SQL Server (or at least the MSDE) as the back-end. With integrated security, it uses the NT login ID to identify who is doing what to whom.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, all our multi-user databases are split into FE / BE, the clients always have a compiled MDE distributed to their local network area.

We use SQL Server for our key systems, but for databases with only a few users (less than 10!) we find the Access solution is efficient enough.

However, there are times when I need to know which users are connected to the back-end of a database. I have a database locking program that reads Access LDB files and returns the hardware ID's that are held in there, and historically this worked fine. Since each user held a copy of access.exe on their hard-drive when they connect to a database BE their personal hardware ID would be logged & I could translate this into a user name.

However, in the thin client environment, there is no hard-drive. Each user connected to the Citrix server is running a shared Access executable. Therefore the hardware ID logged in the LDB file is simply the server ID, you may have 5 users connected to a database but it simply says 1 user - 'SERVERNAME'.

Even though hardware ID is the same, the User Name is still unique. If I could change a settubg so that Access logs user names instead of Hardware ID's it would be ideal (though never going to happen, I'm sure!)...

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I use a log table to track activity on our 2,500 user Citrix system. By trapping environment variables you can get the machine name, username, Citrix server and other things. To see what's available go to the command prompt and type 'SET'. Of course is you're using a custom MDW file(workgroup) then your users should be logging in, that's a good time to record the info to a log table also. Here's some code I user to read the 'SET' environment variables.
    Here's a sample call that get's and posts the data:
    --
    ProcessLog (gsUser & " logging on to ECS, Mode:" & _
    sAppMode() & ", using PC:" & GetEnVar("ClientName") & _
    " Network ID:" & GetEnVar("UserName"))

Here's the code to extract the variables
    -
    Function GetEnVar(Optional sEnVar As String) As Variant
    ' ? GetEnVar("Computername") = 'DHACX-19'
    ' ? GetEnVar("Clientname") = 'D343417-L13K4'
    ' ? GetEnVar("username") = 'hamiltont'
    ' ? GetEnVar("OS") = 'Windows_NT'
    ' ? GetEnVar() returns all Environment variables in the Immediate Window
    Dim sEnv As String
    Dim Indx As Integer, ilen As Integer, iLoc As Integer, iSrch As Integer

iSrch = Len(sEnVar) + 1
    Indx = 1
    Do
    sEnv = Environ(Indx)
    ilen = Len(sEnv)
    iLoc = InStr(1, sEnv, sEnVar)
    ' Debug.Print Indx, sEnv
    If Len(sEnVar) > 0 Then
    If Left(sEnv, Len(sEnVar)) = sEnVar Then GetEnVar = Right(sEnv, ilen - iSrch)
    End If
    Indx = Indx + 1
    If iSrch = 0 Then Debug.Print sEnv
    Loop Until sEnv = ""
    End Function

I hope this is useful to you

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tom - seems to be just what I'm after, I'll be trying this out...

Many Thanks