New Lounger
    Thanks

Exchange Server 2000

I am new to the Server world, so please bear with me, as I may not get all techno-jargon correct. We have Exchange Server 2000, and Small Business Server 2000.

We use Outlook 2000, WinXPpro client machines. We have a public folder phonebook on our server. We use distribution lists regularly. Since the upgrade in March to this new Server setup, we are seeing alot of errors when sending mail via lists, that we did not see before.
    Here are some examples:

<mail.nysta.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <xxxxx@xxxxx.net>... Relaying denied> (I x'd out the users email addy for privacy)
    <nystasrv.NYSTA.Local #5.5.0 smtp;553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)>

I have looked everywhere for some clue as to what is going on and can't find anything. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Exchange Server 2000

As a general rule, it is considered bad etiquette to relay on behalf of unknown senders. If you let anyone relay through your server, you soon will be flinging millions of spam messages a day around the Internet. In addition, one should not relay to alien hosts. The implementation may different among mail servers, but the general idea is that only a mail server which has a relationship with mailhost.com will accept a message for username@mailhost.com; all other SMTP servers should reject it with the 553/5.7.1 error.

Your error implies that Exchange may be trying to relay through the "wrong" server. If you examime the server responding and the e-mail address to which it was asked to relay, do they match? Any patterns??

Thanks

After posting, I thought of the MS support newsgroups. You can scan related messages on Google Groups:

Search: allowed rcpthosts 5.7.1 group:microsoft.public.exchange.*

New Lounger
    Thanks

Your error implies that Exchange may be trying to relay through the "wrong" server. If you examime the server responding and the e-mail address to which it was asked to relay, do they match? Any patterns??

jcher..I am a little lost, you ask, if I "examine the server responding, and the email address it was asked to relay to.."
    how do I do that, I don't know how to tell which server it was asked to relay too.....
    I am IT ignorant! This is my first server management job, given to me, because I am the "geekiest" person in a 6 person office! I appreciate your patience.

Thanks

In your sample message, you showed the server mail.nysta.com refusing to relay to an address in the xxxxx.net domain. This is the kind of mismatch to look for, and see if you see a pattern that is fixable. By fixable, I mean, is there some simple setting that you can change. If you are unfamilar with Exchange, though, you might want to contact a consultant: people won't be happy if they suddenly lose other mail functionality!