2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combo Box Properties (2000)

I have a form that has 4 combo boxes on it. Each combo box filters information from a subform until it is down to a specific item. I my case it sorts down to a specific room in a specific dorm on a specific campus. Once sorted, that information is then added to a table along with other information about a specific person. All that works great, but I'd like to take it one step further. Each room accommodates two people so after a specific room is chosen twice, I'd like it to no longer show up in the final combo box, which happens to be the room number. That way it would indicate that that room is no longer available. Is this possible?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo Box Properties (2000)

What is the structure of the table that holds the info?

Does it look more or like less this (option A):

<table border=1><td>Student</td><td>Room</td><td>John A</td><td align=right>123</td><td>Eddy B</td><td align=right>234</td><td>Bill G</td><td align=right>123</td></table>
    or more or less like this (option [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]:

<table border=1><td>Room</td><td>Student1</td><td>Student2</td><td align=right>123</td><td>John A</td><td>Bill G</td><tr><td align=right>234</td><td>Eddy B</td><td align=right>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Currently it looks like option A. As it is setup now, there is nothing to prevent the user from putting multiple people in the same room.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume you have a table containing info about all rooms. For demonstration purposes, I'll call it tblRooms, with a primary key (unique identifier) RoomID.

Also for demonstration purposes, I'll call the table with student info tblStudents, with primary key StudentID. This table also contains a field RoomID that can contain a valid RoomID or may be empty if the student doesn't have a room.

The following query will select all rooms that have less than 2 occupants:

SELECT tblRooms.RoomID
    FROM tblRooms LEFT JOIN tblStudents ON tblRooms.RoomID = tblStudents.RoomID
    GROUP BY tblRooms.RoomID
    HAVING Count(tblStudents.StudentID)<2

Also see attached screen shot (captions are in Dutch, but you'll get the general idea). You could use a query like this - adapted for your database, of course, and with extra conditions to take campus and dormitory into account - as Row Source for the last combo box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (6.0 KB, 0 views)