Lounger
    Thanks

Revisions in Word VBA problem (2000)

Hi,
    I am trying to loop through all the revisions in a document and accept only those from a certain person. I'm having trouble when the revision is in a table cell. When I use Selection.NextRevision it selects the whole row of the table that contains the revision and then the Accept fails:

Dim revRev as Revision
    On Error Resume Next
    Do While True
    Set revRev = Selection.NextRevision
    If InStr(UCase$(revRev.Author), "XYZ") > 0 Then ' ---> fails with Method 'Author' of object 'Revision' failed
    If Err.Number <> -2147467259 Then '---> a test for the above error
    revRev.Accept
    End If
    Err.Clear
    End If
    Loop

So I tried explicitly stepping through the revisions:

ilRevCt = ActiveDocument.Revisions.Count

For i = ilRevCt To 1 Step -1
    If InStr(UCase$(ActiveDocument.Revisions(i).Author), "XYZ") > 0 Then
    ActiveDocument.Revisions(i).Accept
    End If
    Next i

This one puts Word into an infinite loop (CPU cycles peg and I have to kill Word) when I step into the line with the If statement. I also tried a "For Each revRev In Selection.Range.Revisions" loop and it did the same thing as the first For loop I showed. I also noticed some weirdness with the Count of revisions changing (more than doubling) as I was single stepping through the code after getting the error, stopping the macro and restarting it.

Is there just something funny about revisions in tables? I guess I could test for being in a table when I get the error and scan through the cells looking for revisions but that seems a bit painful?

Thanks,
    Eric
    PS What characters do you use in submissions to the board to indent the code? Everything I can think of gets trimmed.

Thanks

Re: Revisions in Word VBA problem (2000)

Revisions in tables are a problem, and it's more tragic than funny, as you can see.

To maintain formatting in posts, use <!t>[pre]<!/t> before and <!t>[/pre]<!/t> after. Add syntactically appropriate wrapping as needed to minimize pain for those of more modest horizontal resolution.

Four hours later...

I just cannot make this work, either. Now matter how I "drill down," I can't get at the revisions in a table row as individual objects.

Automating Dialogs(wdDialogToolsAcceptRejectChanges) also appears to be a dead end.

Going back to the past, this seemed to work (it examines the current selection):

<pre>If InStr(UCase$(WordBasic.ToolsRevisionAuthor$()), "XYZ") > 0 Then</pre>

But I couldn't figure out the "WordBasic object" way to then accept the change. If you have Word 6 or Word 95, you could create a macro with this in it and open it in Word 97/2000 and see how it converts...

<pre>ToolsReviewRevisions .AcceptRevisions</pre>

Wish I could tell you more... I've got a macro that's broken the same way.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Revisions in Word VBA problem (2000)

Hi,
    Thanks for spending the time. I'll try to play with it this weekend, I think I have a laptop around here with Win 95. If I come up with something that works I will post it.

Eric