New Lounger
    Thanks

Delayed Write Failure

I have intermittently been cursed with a series of "Delayed Write Failure" errors with W2K attributing the problem to either my hardware or saving to a network drive. Since I am saving to a local drive, boot in WinME fine, mostly boot in W2K fine and have run IBM diagnostic software on my PC's RAM, HDDs and CPU without any problems being found I am at a loss. My PC (IBM 300PL 6862-C3A P2 400MHz) is cool, dust free and no new hardware or software has been recently loaded. When I get this error message I get 10s to 100s of them and then I get corruption in those files (hugely annoying when the files are very large internet downloads).
    Any useful ideas for followup?

Appreciate your time
    Regards
    Stephen

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Delayed Write Failure

Be sure to read all of this page Delayed Write Failure because there is more then one fix.
    Also let me tell you that is a very good sign that your Hard Drive is about to bite the dust, so you might want to backup your Data just in case. Dead Disk Blues

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delayed Write Failure

Thanks for the links Cowboydawg. There is lots of similarities (Maxtor HDD, W2000 & WMe dual boot and occasional network linking). Scarey thing about a possible soon to die HDD is that all the software I've run (Maxtor EZ-SMART running constantly, W2000, IBM Enhanced Diagnostics) says its fine and EZ-SMART says there have been NO errors ever logged for either drive. I have no idea which of the two HDDs (if either) that could be failing, the Maxtor 6GB or IBM 30GB. If the Maxtor (O/S & Programs) l'd have less concern (can reload all from CD or IBM HDD) but if the IBM (data & downloads) it would be nasty. Still I've started a CD burn of it already and will follow up the other advice, all of it better than the useless/irrelevant advice I found at Microsoft.
    Stephen