Thread: Blips

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blips

1#
    Every blip is a blop. Half of all bleeps are blops. Half of all blops are blips. There are 30 bleeps and 20 blips. No bleep is a blip. How many blops are neither blips nor bleeps?

2#
    My 1, 2, 8 is rainy.
    My 1, 5, 6, 7 is part of a bird's body.
    My 8, 9, 10 is a weight.
    My 1, 2, 3, 4 is a spring.
    My 7, 5, 4, 8 is a golden surface.
    My 10, 9, 8, 2 is a short letter.
    My whole is a celebrated warrior.
    Who or what am I?

3#
    Find the five-digit number in which the third digit is one-half the second and one-third the first, the fourth digit is double the third, and the last digit is half the fourth and one-third the first. The sum of all the digits is 27.

4#
    A simple substitution code has been used to conceal a "quote." Work out the code to decipher it.

The crew of the Yellow Submarine:

UIJT DPMPS TDBSFT UIF GJTIFT

CVU XF HPU B HPPE QSJDF

PO UIF QBJOU

5#
    Decipher these famous nursery rhymes:

a. A female of the Homo sapiens species was the possessor of a small immature ruminant of the genus Ovis, whose outermost covering reflected all wavelengths of visible light with a luminosity equal to that of a mass of naturally occurring microscopically crystalline water. Regardless of the translational pathway chosen by the Homo sapiens female, there was a 100% probability that the aforementioned ruminant would select the same pathway.

b. A research team proceeded toward the apex of a natural geologic protuberance, the purpose of their expedition being the procurement of a sample of fluid hydride of oxygen in a vessel, the exact size of which was unspecified. One member of the team precipitously descended, sustaining severe damage to the upper cranial portion of his anatomical structure; subsequently the second member of the team performed a self-rotational translation oriented in the direction taken by the first team member.

c. A geriatric female proceeded to a storage compartment for the purpose of procuring a fragment of osseous tissue from an unidentified deceased specimen to transfer to an indigent carnivorous domesticated mammal, Canis familiaris, family Canidae. Upon arrival at her destination, she found the storage compartment in denuded condition, with the consequence that the indigent carnivore was deprived of the intended donation.
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blips

2 <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>Wellington</font color=yellow></span hi>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

5a <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>Mary had a little lamb.</font color=yellow></span hi>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 and 5a - That was quick, Hans, and of course correct
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

On the nose, Stuart.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

3. <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>96363</font color=yellow></span hi>
    5b. <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water</font color=yellow></span hi>
    5c. <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>Old mother hubbard went to the cupboard to get her poor dog a bone</font color=yellow></span hi>

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You responded too quicly, I added a couple of solutions and then found you had commented on the first one.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1 <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold"><font color=yellow>5

There are 20 blips, all of which are blops. So there are also 20 blops that are not blips.
    There are 30 bleeps, 15 of which are not blops and 15 of which are blops. That leaves 5.</font color=yellow></span hi>

A Venn diagram makes this clearer but I don't know how to hide it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I must slow down a little. All correct.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You certainly know your blips from your bleeps and blops.