Star Lounger
    Thanks

Locking Up (2000)

I am having all sorts of problems with my database locking up on my users. Brief background.... The database is used by 30 people. There is one main form that has 4 sub forms. Each sub form (connected to a table) has a primary key and also has a foreign key to the main form's primary key. The message that my users seem to be getting is "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." There are many records in this database and the odds of two people being in the same record is unlikely. Any ideas on how I can correct this? Also, when I go to repair and compact, it just stops in the middle of the process and does not finish. The size of the database is 100 MB. Thanks for any help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locking Up (2000)

Firstly it may be a good idea to import all objects into a new database (backup the original first).
    I would open any module and debug, pending no errors.
    Try to compact again and see what happens.
    You could also look for any redundent LDB files in the location of the source database (whilst no databases are open)

This hopefully should set you on your way.

Locked files are very difficult to determine and impossible to locate the one causing the problem.
    I had a situation like this which lasted a couple of months then suddenly just stopped.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave has already given you good advice. One other thing you can try is the stand-alone compact and repair utility JetComp from Microsoft. You can download it from <!mskb=273956>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 273956<!/mskb>. It can repair some databases that the internal compact and repair can't handle.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for everyones help. I think the JetComp is my best bet. I tried importing the objects into a new database and it did not work. I am going to try doing each set of objects by individually. I also tried to compact and repair another database and it worked fine. I think it is just this one database.

Thanks again for all your help. You too, Dave