2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted Picture files (Windows XP Home)

A few weeks back I noticed that when I dragged and dropped a picture file from one subdir. to another, that the file was corrupted. Not only that, but when I tried deleting the corrupted file, it wouldn't allow me to. The only way I could was go to the DOS window and do so. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupted Picture files (Windows XP Home)

Never heard this one before! A few questions, if I may:

1) Which OS - Pro or Home?
    2) Did you drag and drop with the left or right button (choosing copy)?
    3) What type of picture file (JPG, GIF, TIF, etc.) or did it happen with more than one type?
    4) Specifically which folders did you drag from and to - trying to see if one or both were "protected?"
    5) How did you determine the corruption - which software did you use to check? Did you double-click the file or use the app's "File, Open" command?
    6) Did you get an error message about this corruption?

Sorry for all the questions.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupted Picture files (Windows XP Home)

1) I am using XP Home.
    2) I used the left button to drag and drop the photos.
    3) JPG, GIF, MOV, MPEG, etc.
    4) They were protected ONLY according to the error menu that popped up when I tried to delete the file. I had to use the DOS window to delete them. One or two would still not delete.
    5) I used Picture Publisher 10, IrfanView, CorelDraw11, Paint, and several others. They all gave me the corrupt file error. Said the file did not exist, could not find it, or couldn't open it.
    6) Yes, each one of them told me "Can't read the header" "Unknown file format." When I tried to delete them in XP Home, the error message was, "Cannot delete file: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or that the file is not currently in use."

Ray