5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PlugnPlay/Virtual Com Ports

Is there a way to disable plug and play for W98?

Reason I ask is that, well, this is a long story...

I am using Kermit 95 to connect to a cash register system to poll the daily information. Kermit will not support a virtual com port.

I have purchased several external modems under the belief that most external modems are hardware based and therefore do not create a virtual port. The two modems I am trying to use are Creative Modem Blasters and seem to insist on creating a virtual port regardless of setup method. This is the deal...

I have successfully installed the modem to Com1, and are able to change the properties to the other physical com port with the dropdown in the modem properties dialog...no problem. This is the configuration required for Kermit to work.

When I reboot, W98 picks up a second instance of the same modem config, called "ModemSuchandSuch #2" every time, and installs the modem automatically to virtual com port 1! So I am left with two modem configs, both seemingly on com port 1, one with the physical dropdown choice of ports, and the other with the auto selected choice of Com1 (which cannot be changed). This cannot be!

I have tried to disable the second instance via the device manager and have similar unsuccessful results when trying to connect with Kermit. Only thing I can figure is to somehow disable plug n play.

I have a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra MB, and there seems to be no universal PNP BIOS options, other than changing each IRQ to "manual" from "auto", which starts screwing up the mouse. Any ideas?

I would also wish to add that all modems are not created equal! I have been under the assumption that most external modems are hardware based and would like to warn everybody that unless it is stated on the box that it is hardware controller based, then by default or omission, you should assume that it is software based and might create problems with older DOS based programs.

As a matter of personal satisfaction, I have purchased ten or so external modems for about five or six different machines and have gotten several different external modem brands to work, a couple I have run over with my truck, at least one brand I have had the priviledge to cook to 350 degrees in a chicken fryer, and I have thrown one out the window into the left hand lane of I-35 in Dallas.

Hope this all makes some sort of sense!

Thanks

Re: PlugnPlay/Virtual Com Ports

Try:

<!mskb=321779>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 321779<!/mskb> : INFO: Setting the Plug and Play BIOS Option (PNP OS) in CMOS Setup

<!mskb=133159>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 133159<!/mskb> : Plug and Play Support in Windows Questions and Answers

Edited to add:
    You may also wish to check out UnPlug n' Pray - but I have no experience with this program.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PlugnPlay/Virtual Com Ports

Thanks for the links Leif, I got connected with a "real" external modem at another PC, so unfortunately, I guess there is no substitute for a genuine controller based external modem with this app. No matter what I do, W98 will not recognize it unless the software for the modem is installed. Guess the software is the "substitute" for the hardware controller?

I even manually assigned all my IRQs which led to a big problem, all 5 of my registry backups were no good ("started"), restored my Windows drive backup, and was able to restore a registry backup from the backup. Major selling point in my opinion for setting the number of registry backups to 10 or more, and putting them in a different spot! Thanks!