3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cumulative Totals on Userforms (VBA/Word/97)

I have a userform where numeric values are entered. I do not know how to create a visual display on the form that updates as the user enters numbers. It is desired as the user will then get instant feedback for the values he/she enters as these must not total more than 100 (as in 100%). After completing the form entries, these individual values are then passed thru to a new word document that is populated with bookmarks.

The attachment shows part of the form and the running total circled in red. (No, I haven't got that far, it was drawn using a graphics program.)

As I have no idea on how to create the required effect, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Leigh

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cumulative Totals on Userforms (VBA/Word/97)

The text boxes used for entering data have three events that you could use for this:
    <UL><LI>The Change event occurs when the value of the text box changes, i.e. while the user is typing. This will provide the most direct feedback, but as a downside, it will react to all typos too, before the user has had a chance of correcting them
    <LI>The BeforeUpdate event occurs when the user moves on to another control; you can set the Cancel argument to True to prevent the update from happening.
    <LI>The AfterUpdate event occurs when the user moves to another control, after BeforeUpdate. AfterUpdate can't be canceled.[/list]You can recalculate the total in each of these events and set the caption of a label to the new total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans for that info, but what specific properties for my txtRunTotal text box do I set? (Assuming txtRunTotal is the control under the red ellipse.)

Leigh

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Leigh,

You should use events for the text boxes used for data entry. Let's assume that they are named txtMetamyelocytes, txtProNormoblasts, etc. up to txtMyeloidErythroidRatio.

You can create a function that will be called from the BeforeUpdate event of each of these:

Private Function UpdateTotal() As Boolean
    Dim dblTotal As Double
    ' Calculate total
    dblTotal = CDbl(txtMetamyelocytes) + CDbl(txtPrNormoblasts) + ... + CDbl(txtMyeloidErythroidRatio)
    ' Set text box value
    txtRunTotal.Text = dblTotal
    If dblTotal > 100 Then
    ' Optional - issue warning message
    MsgBox "Warning: the total is " & dblTotal & " %"
    ' Return True to cancel update
    UpdateTotal = True
    End If
    End Function

For each of the data entry text boxes, type an event procedure:

Private Sub txtMetamyelocytes_BeforeUpdate(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean)
    Cancel = UpdateTotal
    End Sub

(repeat for the others)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, this is the direction I needed.