Thread: Modem speed

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modem speed

Hi
    I have a 3com Professional Message modem (56k).
    My issue is that when I log on to the net the best I can get is 31k speed. can anyone refer me to a suitable website/s that have suggestions for increasing this speed?

Thanks in advance
    Dax

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modem speed

Dax, is it a consistent speed every time you connect, or do you get varying connection rates? 56K modems are extremely dependent upon a number of conditions in order to get the higher speeds - most likely suspects are the phone lines from your telco. There has to be a digital connection end to end, if there's anything analog in the middle, it will revert to the 33.6 standard.

You can make sure that you cover your bases by having the most recent software drivers for the modem, and checking the port speed settings on your system. If the modem is connected to the serial port, it can be hardware limited, so open the Device Manager and look at Ports (COM & LPT). Double click on the COM ports and make sure the port speed is set to the highest value. Outside of those two things, it may be beyond your control, but a call to the local telco can't hurt. I once had a pinched wire in a phone jack wreak havoc on my connection speeds, but I never would have found it on my own.

Hope that helps!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The modem speed spends on many factors, including:

1. The quality of the phone line from you to your ISP.
    2. The setttings you've made on your modem.
    3. Which chipsets the ISP's modem's use.

When you dial in to your ISP, the speed reported is the initial connection speed. Many modems adjust the eed up/down after connection. Depends on your modem's capabilities.

Your ISP is the best source for investigating this issue.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all for your help.

WyllyWylly, Yes generally I'll log on and the speed will be either 31 or 33, on a very rare occasion I'll actually get around 38.5k, but that's generally once in a blue moon.

I've downloaded the latest drivers and that fixed e of my minor problems in not being able to connect firt time, but the speed issue is still there.

I have tried a range of ideas and checked with the local phone company re the quality of my phone line and have been assured its fine.
    I've spoken with my ISP and they have also assured me all is ok and compatible at their end. I've made sure my com port settings are at the max speed also.

Unfortunately I live in the country in Australia so the chances of getting broadband access are extremely remote.

I guess I'll have to put up with the speed until some new technology comes along

Thanks again
    Dax

Thanks

Dax1956,
    Have you tried any of the many speed tweak progs that are around? Like, http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,4168,00.asp.
    Since the default XP settings are mostly for broadband, they may help in you case for dialup.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I have tried a few different tweaking programs but without any significant improvement

Cheers
    Dax

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could try getting a filter for your phone line. You can pick one up quite cheaply, at least you can in the UK! They cut out noise on the line, which will help the modem (I use the same modem and get 49333 in a semi-rural location, with a filter attached) and protect it against surges in electrical storms. It also helps if the modem is connected to the master phone socket, rather than any slave outlet/extension. The number and quality of other phones/faxes etc. on the line may also have an effect.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.