2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Network, Only one side shows up.

I had a working network with Comp1 Using Win 98 and Comp2 using XP home. Appropriate files were visible in both directions.
    I Upgraded Comp1 to XP Pro and ... Now Comp1 cannot see the network or itself. It actually does show up from Comp2 and Comp2 can access and write to the Comp1 files and printer. HOWEVER Comp1 can't see Comp2 . Comp1 has internet access, can be reached with PCAnywhere form the outside and in all other aspects seems to be working fine.

I have assigned the IP address 192.168.1.80 to Comp1 to allow forwarding for PCAnywhere and an FTP server I enable sometimes. These all work fine.
    Why would the home network not show up?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Network, Only one side shows up.

Make sure they are in the same Workgroup. Also go into Network Connections Click on Advanced then click on Advanced Settings. Make sure that TCP/IP is bound to Printer and File Sharing and Networks. If you have any other protocols bind them to TCP/IP. You should be able to see your network from both machines. You didn't mention if this was an upgrade or clean install. Those are the only protocols you need in XP. If you have been using the network wizard it will change your bindings. You might have to reboot to get everything synched.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the post. As you can see there were lots of reads but no answers. HELP!!!!

That is all done. What is bizarre is that the win98 machines can see each other AND the XP machine, the drives and the printer. The XP does not even show itself in network neighborhood. ????
    Gad

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am feeling pretty stupid, But I will get over it.
    The network client box was unchecked.
    Right click, network Places -- Properties
    Right click Lan or High speed internet connection -- properties
    The 'Client for microsoft networks' was unchecked.
    Checking it and rebooting . Everyone sees everyonea and all is right in the world (at least my little networked piece of it).

Until Next time -
    Gaddy