Thread: Server

New Lounger
    Thanks

Server

I am a student volunteer and have been asked to set up a server at an elementary school. There is no one there that seems to have had any experiance with NT Server or their ilk. I have had a few NT classes, but have never had the opportunity to set up something like this from the ground up. The clients will all be running 95 or 98. The server is a Compaq 330. I installed extra memory, a SCSI harddrive and a tape drive. The new UPS is charging as we speak, just waiting for the OS software to arrive.
    I am so pleased that this arena has been created and I hope to be back often with questions (I'm sure I'll have plenty)and progress reports (hopefully positive).

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

ibrown

Re: Server

welcome to heart ache. Namely, old stuff. I am not familar with the Compaq 330 but often you have to manually installed the SCSi driver to begin installing NT. Otherwise the drive is not recognised from the beginning. Can u put win 2000 on it? It will be lot's easier for you.

Let me see.

1) is CD bootable?
    2) yes, insert Cd and boot from it
    no use the 3 diskettes that come with NT server.
    3) Follow install and see if the SCSI disk is recognised
    4) not recognised, manual install
    Recognised then continue thru the install process
    if you have installed Win 95 on network then not to bad
    network card can be an issue
    also, remember first NT server is usually the PDC (Primary Domain Controller) you cannot change your mind afterwards. This is the main server to store usernames and passwords. [img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]

Kind Regards
    Ian
    MCSE
    MCT

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Server

Dear Ian,
    I am currently in the process of studying for the MCSE's. While in school on a full time basis doesn't leave time for a "job". So I look for volunteer work to gain some experiance. I was hoping that the post would peak someones interest. I'm glad that it has. I'm sure that it will not all be smooth sailing. Most of my NT Server experience has been in the controlled lab school evirons. I'm not sure why NT 4 was chosen. I wasn't in on that decision. I have heard mixed reviews about 2000. Not having any 2000 experience, I hesitate to comment at this point. I'm taking your advice. Thanks again and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

Patricia Claybaugh