New Lounger
    Thanks

upgrading to new laptop HD

I'm running Win2K on an IBM ThinkPad. I plan to upgrade from a 12GB drive to a 40 or 60GB drive and will want to copy the entire old drive to the new one. FYI, the 12GB drive has two partitions. I can mount both drives in the laptop while I copy the data.

I read an earlier posting that said I can copy the current drive image by setting up the new drive as a mirror, then breaking the mirror and replacing the old drive with the new one. However, the Disk Management help file says that disk-to-disk mirrors can only be set up when the 2nd drive is a dynamic drive, and that dynamic drives ARE NOT supported on portable computers. Is this right? If so, can you suggest any other options other than buying software like Drive Copy or Copy Commander?

If I have to use a 3rd party tool, any recommendations? I already use PartitionMagic, so I;m inclined toward Drive Copy.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: upgrading to new laptop HD

Most new drives ship with a boot floppy that will partition and copy (image) an existing drive onto the newly purchased one. Maxtor and Western Digital both ship with said diskette - so no third party software would be required. If you have a need, though, DriveCopy would be my choice.
    -Mark