New Lounger
    Thanks

Customizing Right-Mouse menu in Windows Explorer

I am running windows 2000 sp2. In windows explorer, I select Folder Options, File Types, selected the type Folder, and clicked Advanced. I then added a new Action to launch a cmd window.
    So now, when I right-click a folder object, I can launch a DOS window already set to the selected path. This is a pretty common operation.
    My question is, why can't I edit the action. When I click the Advanced button again, the Edit function is disabled. Seems like it only does this for "system" types.
    I don't remember this problem in the old days (sp1).
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Customizing Right-Mouse menu in Windows Explorer

I have SP2, too, and also cannot edit actions for the Folder "file type."

Are you a confident registry editor?

There is a value called EditFlags under the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTFolder that probably is disabling the Edit button. Unfortunately, it's a binary value constructed of several values added together. For more information, see:

MSDN Home > MSDN Library > User Interface Design and Development > Shell Programmer's Guide > Shell Basics > Shell Basics: Extending the Shell > <big>Creating a File Association</big>

I'm not good at this kind of math, so I can't decode my EditFlags value of d2 03 00 00. Nevertheless, I hope this points you toward a solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customizing Right-Mouse menu in Windows Explorer

thanks!