Lounger
    Thanks

Cell Limit (XLS 97 and 2000)

I would like to put several paragraphs of text (a description of the number in the next cell) into an XLS Cell. I can add all the text into the formula bar, but the last two or three line will not print out. I have changed the cell height and the vertical alignment of the cell. Even tried merging two cells--I've also checked the page set up no shrinking to fit going on. I am wondering if there is a limit to number of characters in a cell? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cell Limit (XLS 97 and 2000)

A column cannot have more than 255 characters and row cannot be bigger than 409 points, according to Excel 2002 Help.
    Have you adjusted the row height?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although a maximum of 32767 characters can be stored in a cell, only the first 1024 are actually displayed in the cell. Microsoft states that this is "by design".

Consider using a text box to display the description - it will display much longer texts.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I think the 255 limit applies only to cells formatted as Text. If you apply a General format to a cell it can display significantly more than 255 characters, though I do not know off hand the upper limit. Something tells me it may be 4096, but I may be wrong.

Andrew C

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I was referring to the column width limit, which cannot be greater than 255 characters.
    Since the row height is limited to 409 points, if each line within a cell has a height of 12 points, then there would be a limit of about 8670 characters for a cell.

That's too much for a cell anyway.
    Better would be a scrollable textbox. Offhand, dunno the limit on a texttbox.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The maximum column width is indeed 255, but with word wrap set to on, that does not impose a limit on display. However if teh cell is formatted as Text, you can only display 255 characters regardless of any other setting.

Andrew C