Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Script error in Help file (XP-SR1, IE6, Office 2000)

Although I'm getting this error message only after clicking on a thumbnail in Access Help I think it's rather a topic for this forum.

I've run regsvr32 urlmon.dll and the Internet Options are as they should be in this case (i.e. "Disable script debugging" is checked and "Display notification about every script error" unchecked).

Can please someone explain what's happening and what else I should try?

Thanks in advance,
    Oana
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Script error in Help file (XP-SR1, IE6, Office 2000)

This may help .

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/scriptsentry.asp

This is how I have Script Sentry configured .
    It can be done during Install or by going to ,
    Windows Explorer > Programs > Script Sentry .
    Double click on the 4th Entry , ScriptSentry , which is the .exe file .
    This opens it up , select , File > Configure .
    Click on > Set to Recommended .
    Click OK .

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It looks to me like an embedded script in an HTML page -- therefore, Jason's Script Sentry has no role here.

What I I try? I would actually ENABLE Script Debugging and try to figure out what is going on. To do that, you need to have MS Script De###### installed.

Many problems like this occur because "Security Updates" to IE break previously well-behaved functions. The "Help" Controls have been found to contain many vulnerabilities, and PERHAPS some Security Update has blocked this functionality. I took a quick look for that error on Google and I found nothing of interest. Hard to know. The De###### might be able to give you more information....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the suggestion. What I got with Script Debugging enabled was the same message window, no more, no less.

It's not really an encumbrance, I don't see it so often, but it keeps nagging at me because I don't know why it happens.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link, unfortunately Script Sentry doesn't help in this case.
    Oana

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Eh, like I said -- you need the Script De###### installed. Just checking that box is useless without the De######...

HOWEVER, since you have clearly never used the Script De######, I would recommend against you trying to do that. I also said that is what *I* would do -- because I use the Script De###### all the time. This is really not something that you want to start learning today...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are right on both counts. Script De###### was uninstalled - and I've never worked with it before.
    I've installed it now, and I'll try to understand how it works. The Help documentation seems to be intelligible enough.

When I run the Access Help file in order to replicate the error, the De###### stops at this line:

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">highlightWindow.Event.srcElement.ParentEleme nt.bgcolor="#FFFFCC"</span hi>

Perhaps you'll bear with me and tell me what other information I should look for.

Thank you for your time,
    Oana

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I doubt I will have time to do too much with this on a Friday PM... The Scripting forum might be able to give you more assistance.

Can you determine the source of the script -- i.e., the name of the file that the script is in? Also, can you tell if this is JavaScript/JScript, Visual Basic, or something else?

You cannot edit in the de######, but you shold be able open the source file in a text editor. It appears the basic message is saying that the object "highlightWindow.Event.srcElement.ParentElemen t" cannot support the "bgcolor" (background color) property. My first suggestion is to simply remark out that line and see how the script runs without. It appears to me that the line simply sets the background color of the Window -- and who cares if it is just white?

Thanks

Oh, this brings back memories... I think it might be a typo! In JavaScript, which this possibly could be, the element attribute/property names are case sensitive. The correct syntax for background color would be bgColor (capital C). (See BGCOLOR Attribute | bgColor Property) I don't think this is something you can fix.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, the file is nowhere on my hard disk. As the URL (see my first post, attached picture) says, it probably sits on a Microsoft server and is of course "read-only". If I disable my network connection I can't access it from the thumbnail anymore.

So the Script De###### won't do me much good in this instance, and if it is a typo, the culprit is too far away.

I don't care for the background but the error messages popping up all the time (same as picture attached, but with different line specifications) are a pain ... everywhere. I just wanted to turn them off, not to correct someone else's scripts.

So are you saying there's not much I can do?

Thank you anyway,
    Oana

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe my eyesite is worse than I think. The URL that I see is this:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice1033acmain9.chm

Which looks like a local resource. HOWEVER, you clearly state, "If I disable my network connection I can't access it from the thumbnail anymore." So, I must believe the ultimate source is from an MS web site.

The Script De###### allows you to indentify the problem -- and in this case it has already done that!

I understand that you don't want to correct someone else's scripts, but unless you get the script error fixed -- by yourself or someone else -- you are going to have to accept the error messages. I don't know of any way to tell Windows to not display these. There are displayed for a purpose. Sadly, Microsoft has not discovered and fixed this bug.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

In my understanding the "mk:@MSITStore:file name.chm::/topic.htm" - protocol creates a link to another Help file. The first Help file, acmain9.chm is on my computer - if it weren't I wouldn't be able to open Access Help. The topic to which I'm linking from there by clicking on a thumbnail (and which gives me the error messages) must be on Microsoft's computer, since I can't access it when the LAN connection is disabled.

So it's not that I don't want to fix the error, I can't . Or do you see a way?

Sorry for spoiling part of your weekend and thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Since you cannot get the error without an Interent connection, that is hard to argue...

What I know is this:

The prefix mk:@MSITStore is an earlier version of the ms-its protocol that works with Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 or later.

When coding an HTML <A> tag in an HTML file, or when specifying a compiled help file path in the HTML Help ActiveX control, you must include the prefix ms-its, which determines where the help file resides on a user's computer.

More information is here:

When you are using Internet Explorer versions 3.x or later, you can open a specific HTML page contained in a compiled HTML Help file from the file system by using a URL in this format:

mk:@MSITStore:pathfilename.chm:age.chm

...When you are using Internet Explorer 4.x or later, you can open a page in a compiled HTML Help file located on an HTTP server by using a URL in this format:

its:http://serverpath/filename.chm::/page.htm

So, as I read this, if the "URL" after the mk:@MSITStore is a path to a file on your computer, then this is a local file. However, if the "URL" after the mk:@MSITStore is an Internet site, it should have "http:" and a viable web address.

But I am certainly no expert in how Compiled Help Files work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. So it's Catch-22 for me.
    Have a nice rest of a weekend.
    Oana

Thanks

CHM = Compiled HTML Help file. I think the web pages are actually inside the file, though I've never studied the Help system in much detail. Anyway, you shouldn't need a network connection to read your help file.

I found that help topic, and the error is related to the mouse entering or departing from the listed topics. You can navigate the topic list using Tab and Enter (Tab to move to the next one, Enter to activate it) to avoid the errors. Hopefully this doesn't affect too many pages!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast