4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sum function not working (Access 97 SR2)

I have a database that uses the Sum function in the footer of a form to calculate the totals in the detail section. On some PCs it works, however, on some it doesnt.

Just as a quick first call, would anyone happen to know if a specific software component might be missing?
    I thought it might be Mdac 2.1 or something, but I then found out Windows 2000 won't accept previous installs of the Mdacs.

I'll post another update if I find out any more info on differences between the Pcs that work and those that dont.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sum function not working (Access 97 SR2)

I assume that you have checked for missing references on the problem PC's? (Open any module, select Tools | References...)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply Hans. I checked before I posted and there was no luck there. I checked on different Pcs/databases/tables etc to rule out an error with a specific database or permissions on tables and everything seems to point to an error with the PC.
    If it comes to it ill have them formatted, but I thought i'd check to see if someone had an "ah, I remember having that..." moment.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What sort of error do you get - unrecognized function, incorrect value, run-time error, or what?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

None whatsoever, the text box which displays sum([value]) simply has nothing in it.

If I put a text box on a form with =sum(1+15) it will add it up, but if I attempt to find the sum of a field in the detail section nothing is displayed. This works fine on most Pcs but not these odd 3. It used to work fine for the people involved so it shouldnt be permissions, but they've had changes made on their Pcs.

The tables involved are linked SQL tables.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>It used to work fine for the people involved so it shouldnt be permissions, but they've had changes made on their Pcs.<hr>
    I would be willing to bet that's the problem. New software is the best bet - someone overwrote a DLL or a library database in all likelihood. The VBA DLL would be a good place to start. My guess is you might want to remove and reinstall Office 97.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendel. Ill see if I can find and replace the dll, if that doesn't work ill try a re-install.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just be sure to check versions against a PC that is working correctly - you might also look at this issue as a possibility - Reverting to the Access 97 ODBC Driver After Installing MDAC.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FYI, a re-install of Access did the trick, thanks for your help. I should have thought about trying that in the first place!