Thanks

Size of recycle bin

I'm using Win 98 (first edition). If I right-click on the recycle bin and look at Properties, it's set to use a maximum 10% of the hard disk for the recycle bin. It says Size of drive 1.99 GB, Space reserved 204 MB. The only difficulty with this is that my HD is 8.4 GB, not 1.99, so why does Windows think it is 1.99? (I don't have it partitioned.) Is there anywhere in the Registry etc. where Windows has erroneously stored a value of 1.99 GB, and if so how can I put it right?

Ian

Thanks

Re: Size of recycle bin

I think this is what you are looking for -

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q187/1/88.ASP>Q187188</A> - Recycle Bin Reports Drive Size Incorrectly in Large Partitions

SYMPTOMS
    When you view Recycle Bin Properties to view the size of a partition on a hard disk in your computer, a partition larger than 1.99 gigabytes (GB) may be incorrectly reported to be 1.99 GB.

RESOLUTION
    To work around this problem, use Windows Explorer to view the size of a partition on a hard disk in your computer. To do so, use the following steps:

Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

Right-click the drive you want to view, and then click Properties.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

However, I've noticed that the Recycle Bin not only reports the wrong size of large partitions, but it also calculates the capacity of the Recycle Bin based on that mistake. i.e. it reports a 13 Gig hard drive as 1.99G. But if you allocate 1% of your 13 Gig drive to the Recycle Bin, it allocates only 20.4 MB.

Thanks

That's right, Phil. So the answer I seem to be getting here is that this is a known Windows problem, there is no particular cure, I can find out the real size of my hard disk in Explorer (I knew the size anyway) but it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with my setup (beyond what is wrong with Win 98 anyway). Thanks for your help - at least I know it isn't just me!

Ian