Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendations for local support in Nassau County

I know someone who really screwed up a system by interrupting a Defrag. She is likely not capable of remedying things, so I'd like to find her some local support.

However, I'm in NH and she is in NY (Nassau County).

She was running a Micron system with Win 98 and 1 hard drive. All 4 IDE connectors are used.

I convinced her to get a 2nd hard drive, a Promise controller, and add win 2000 on the 2nd drive resulting in a dual boot Win 98/Win 2000 system.

I told her how to do this, but she felt uncomfortable and found somebody to do it for her. I know not exactly was done.

REcently, she did a Defrag and interrupted the defrag, so this prevented her from booting to Win 2000.

I told her to try Win 2000 Repair, but she tells me the 2nd drive is not recognized (as the Promise drivers need to be loaded during the repair). She seems incapable of handling this. I can give more details, but it just gets worse.

Now, she is getting messages about missing files when Win 98 reboots.

She needs someone to:

1. Restore the hardware drivers so both Win 98 and Win 2000 can recognize both hard drives.

2. Run the Win 2000 Repair on the, by now, corrupted Win 2000 installation.

3. Fix the Win 98 issues.

She needs a qualified person locally, not just some John Doe or Jane Roe who offers to help.

Any recommendations for reliable support personnel/organizations in the Nassau, NY area?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recommendations for local support in Nassau County

My company is in Suffolk County - adjacent to Nassau County. When I screw up the network, I call LMS Technical Services in Farmingdale, NY. They're competent, fair, and very nice. They've always come through for us., and they're just a stone's throw from Nassau County. They can be reached at 631-694-2034, and ask for Vito. If they ask who referred you, just say Joel, from Blue Ribbon. They'll know me. (I don't know if that's good or bad!!!).

Good luck. Joel

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I sent an inquiry to LMS, via email, at about 23:51 on 1 May 2003.

LMS sent a response about 17 minutes later.
    Quite impressive.

For folkes not under a support contract, the service would be too expensive.

I did a search at http://www.superpages.com and did not find much.

I'll send a few an email inquiry.