New Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded picture placeholders

I use Outlook 97 for emailing, and frequently receive emails from sources who send their documnents in HTML format

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded picture placeholders

You're not doing anything wrong. The sender should just understand that some people will read their mail off line and they should make changes to their message so that it carries the pics with the message instead of just linking them to the message. when you view the message while online, the html is able to retrieve the pics from their source and show them to you. these pics get cached (saved) on your drive normally for quicker retrieval later and that is why you can view them offline later. it doesn't have to go to the web to get them any more.

hope that helps.
    Dr.X

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your reassuring response to my Q about embedded pics in html emails - I've been trying to get an answer to that Q for weeks! I shall contact the sender (flightsim.com) and query why they do it the way they do. It's nice to know I wasn't doing anything wrong, but I do find it surprising that a major website would send emails in a format that doesn't allow off-line reading!

Thanks again for the reply,

Howard L Smith

New Lounger
    Thanks

I hate to break it to you but just about ALL the big companies are doing this. It helps take some of the load off their mass mail servers since it doesn't require them to send all the graphics with the html. it also allows them to look at their web logs to see if you actually opened their spam...er, uh, i mean mail.[img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Er, right! So now I know! Seems like I'll just have to read 'em online. Thanks anyway for putting me straight.

HLS