Lounger
    Thanks

Filebloat when saving to W6/95 format (Word 2002)

I work in Word 2002 but often need to share documents with users who have earlier versions, commonly back as far as Word 6. Usually I can save as and choose save as type Word 6.0/95 --no problem. However, if my document contains any pictures or logos, the document will save in Word 6 format with a huge file-size (commonly 10X larger than in Word 2002). Presumably this relates to the way image files are handled within the different versions of Word. Anyone know a work-around? The only alternative I have found is to use Acrobat, but then my fellow-users can't edit the document. I don't want to have to mess around too much with the formatting, unless I can be reasonably sure it will position the pictures correctly in the Word 6 version (something that I can't myself check, because when I open them Word presumably reconverts the document to Word 2002).

Any thoughts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Filebloat when saving to W6/95 format (Word 2002)

I dodn't know that there were still Word 6 users out there (under Windows 3.11?)

Before Word 97, images were stored without any compression in a document, so if you save a document as Word 6.0/95, all images are probably converted to uncompressed bitmaps. There's not much you can do about it, I fear, but here are a few tips:
    <UL><LI>In general, keep the number of images small, and keep the size of images small.
    <LI>Don't crop images in Word itself - the entire image will still be stored in the document. Instead, use a graphic program such as IrfanView (free) to crop them.
    <LI>IAlso, if possible, reduce the color depth. A bitmap with 256 colors (8-bit) takes 1/3 of the space of a ful-color bitmap (24-bit).
    <LI>WinZip should do a good job of compressing a Word 6.0/95 document - handy if you need to send it by e-mail.[/list]

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Thanks for the tips. Exploring the Word 2002 Save As dialog a bit further I thought I would try the effect on file sizes of the two different Save-As type options for earlier Word versions.

My document is a single page A4 letter with two small colour logos at the top. The file sizes are given below:

Word 2002 native: 173Kb
    As Word 6.0/95 (*.doc): 778 Kb
    As Word 97-2002 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc): 1841Kb

Those are the only options to save in previous versions of Word that are built into 2002. The others related to Mac, WordPerfect, etc.
    Curious, no?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The dual 97-2002 & 6.0/95 format saves both versions in one RTF file, that's why it's so big.

The basic file format for Word 6 and Word 95 were the same, just as the basic file format for Word 97, Word 2000 and Word 2002 is the same. So you see options to save in these formats and in a combined format. There is no option to save in the format of earlier versions, but those versions can open RTF files.

One other remark: a small logo in your document may be a reduced version of a much larger original. If you click the logo, then select Format | Picture..., Size tab, you can see the scale percentage. Again, you can use a graphics application to reduce such a logo to its displayed size; this will result in a lower quality printout, but it will also reduce the file size.