Star Lounger
    Thanks

What does POP3 error 1232 mean?

I'm using the POP3 connector with SBS4.5 / Exchange 5.5. I've got about half a dozen email accounts downloading POP3 email, and frequent one or another account (usually mine) will come up with the following error: "POP3: Failed to check the POP3 account for andrew at host mail.**********.biz on port 110. The error is 1232 ".

It then fails to finishing downloading all the emails in the box, and proceeds to the next email box (which usuall works fine). The next time it logs on, it downloads all the earlier emails in the batch all over again (obviously not signalling that it had completed the download). The first I know that there's a problem is when the same email starts popping up during every scheduled email download, or I manually check the event log (which supplies me with the above message).

I can't find reference to error 1232 anywhere on the MS KB. Am I missing something? Why should the error be irregular like this? The email server is on our own domain, it's not an ISP. I'm wondering if it might be something to do with the fact that our domain is a dot.biz?

Thanks for any help

Thanks

Re: What does POP3 error 1232 mean?

Some hits from the Microsoft newsgroups on Google Groups. I didn't read through, but hopefully the answer's there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I didn't think to look in the newsgroups! According to one entry, the 1232 error is due to network problems (e.g. clogged network).
    But that doesn't square with my experience, which is that it almost always happens only with my email, very occasionally with one other persons on the mailserver for that domain, and it's never happened with any other of the mailboxes. The other mailboxes will gaily go on receiving normal email, while my email box receives the same two or three or four emails again and again and again, because when the problem starts, it never seems to acknowledge finishing downloading my email box, but simply moves on to the next one!

Thanks

What if you increase the time-out value for that POP3 server - maybe it's underpowered relative to the others?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't find a way of altering the time out. It's not in the pop3 connector on Exchange, and my isp says it isn't adjustable for the mail server, I should adjust it at my end...
    oh well, at least it hasn't recurred for three weeks now!