3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Norton System Works

NEED HELP! Attempting to install NSW 2003 (from a CD), on a friends computer running Win98. Previously there was a version of NSW installed. I went through a Removal exercise and Deleted everything I could find. When installing NSW 2003 it hangs up and tells me there are pre-existing files still in the computer. I found and ran both SYMCLN.exe and RNAV2003. They then said all files were GONE and to go ahead and install NSW 2003, but I stll get the SAME hang-ups as before. Any good ideas as to where I can go from here?

Thanx very much!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Norton System Works

Hi PaJan,

When you say
    <hr>I went through a Removal exercise and Deleted everything I could find<hr>
    does this mean you ran the uninstall program or used Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel, or did you just start deleting files from Windows Explorer? You're quite unlikely to find everything Windows Explorer, especially registry entries.

If you used Windows Explorer to do the deletion, try re-installing the old version then deleting it via the uninstall program or with Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel. Apart from that, a visit to the Symantec site should turn up a list of the files installed by each version - but even that probably doesn't cover subsequent updates installed via Live Update.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx macropod. I used the Add/Remove and the Uninstall features and manually Deleted several other items. The Symantec website said to download and run SYMCLN.exe and RNAV 2003. When I did this each mini-program said that there were NO other files to REMOVE and to GO ahead and install NSW 2003. I assumed that SYMCLN or RNAV would take care of Registry items as I hesitate to tread there. I don't have access to the original installed program so have no way to reinstall it now.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

In that case, it's probably time to contact Symantec's support people/site to see what other advice they can offer.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]