Lounger
    Thanks

Phantom Phont Pholder size

Hi,
    I have a problem in that my system font folder says it is 17GB in size (looking at the properties).
    When i make a copy of the folder, it is only 14 mb big (with about 100 fonts).
    There are no hidden files.
    I *am* missing 17gb worth of space (ie, its not just the properties window stuffing up)
    I cant rename, move or delete the folder as it is a system folder.
    I have tried deleting all of the fonts that windows will allow and still no difference.

Any ideas anyone?
    I have heard the there can be up to 25 registry entries for each font for international support, would this make a difference?

Thanks in advance
    Adrian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Phantom Phont Pholder size

Have you run a CHKDSK to make sure that there are no disk errors that could account for the improper allocation of space?
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Mark said, remember that Windows is VERY protective of its fonts folder, in ALL versions! I have never been able to successfully copy that entire folder to another location and sometimes even individual fonts are difficult to copy. I hope you've been careful of what you've already deleted, since there are certain (unknown to me) fonts that will really hurt your Windows operation if they're not present and installed. In the past, I've even booted a machine with DOS and been more or less unsuccessful at copying all fonts to another location. I've never tried looking at the space properties, but it may be some more of Windows inherent protectionism at work.....

Thanks

>>> I have never been able to successfully copy that entire folder to another location....

I found the way round that was to access the fonts folder across a network. Certainly in Explorer, the status bar reports (e.g.) "359 objects" as opposed to "359 font(s)".

Lounger
    Thanks

Good thinking Lief ill try that.

Just tried it... I don't have a network set up yet, but I mapped it as a network drive and then looked at it. There was a brand new temp file 18gb in size. I was also able to delete it with no probs!
    Cheers!