Lounger
    Thanks

Which security updates? (XP SR-1 OEM Spanish)

Windows has downloaded all of 16 security updates and critical updates for me, but now I don't know which ones to install. Is there an official running Woody's list of patches that should or should not be installed, and do the numbers for the English version match the numbers for other-language versions? The idea of going through all those KB articles just makes me shudder.
    MTIA.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Which security updates? (XP SR-1 OEM Spanish)

As far as I know, the MSKB numbers are the same (at least, they are for US English and Dutch, my language). Number 811493 is the one to avoid, it tends to slow down your PC. You probably don't need ALL of the others, but it depends on your system and what you use it for.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MFF, I`m not aware of any language differences, Here are the patches that Woody has warned about. If you have SP1 installed 811493 could slow your system down drastically, so don`t download it If you are using Norton Internet Security the following 2 patches should not be downloaded as they are stopping access to the Internet. 813489 Cumulative Patch for IE 6 Service Pack1 and 330994 Security Update for OE 6 Service Pack1. These are the only ones I know of at present, but Woody gives good advice about all Patches. When you are notified about new Patches available, you should wait a few days before installing them. Keep watching this Forum, as any problems will be quickly posted here.This is the best place to visit every day for news and advice.The people are so helpful and willing to share their experience.
    Elaine

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, the update described as a cumulative patch for IE SP1 issued on 1-Feb-03 is numbered 810847 in my list of downloaded updates, so maybe they do number them differently for different languages. I really hate this sort of thing.

Thanks

810847 is a completely different one from those mentioned in Elaines' post.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!