New Lounger
    Thanks

Linking to Power Point slides (XP)

Using Office XP, I am able to link to a Power Point slide from Word. This does not appear to work using Office 2000. Is there a way to make it work with 2000? What is the mechanism that Microsoft is using to make this work?

thanks,

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Linking to Power Point slides (XP)

Hi there,

MS changed the hyperlinking syntax for Word 2002. Previously, you indicated the slide No. with a hypen (eg -3 linked to slide 3), now you indicated the slide No. with a # (eg #3 links to slide 3.

I don't know there's much you can do about this if you need your document to work in both environments, except perhaps to have two versions of the links in your document, with comments as to which version to use ...

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am using a different syntax in XP, I'm using {LINK PowerPint.Slide.8 "Cresentation.ppt", "123" /a /p} where 123 is the slide ID which does not change when the slide moves within the presentation or if sides are added to or deleted from the presentation. Is this the form about which you were referring? If so, where to I use #n or -n? If not, is there an equivalent method in 2000? Where should I look to find this type of information? Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi,

I think you've got some typos and a syntax issue to deal with. Instead of:
    {LINK PowerPint.Slide.8 "Cresentation.ppt", "123" /a /p}
    you need:
    {LINK PowerP<font color=red>o</font color=red>int.Slide.8 "C:<font color=red></font color=red>presentation.ppt", "123" /a /p}
    I just tried this on my own Word 2000 installation and it works fine.

If you still have problems, maybe you could use a Hyperlink field, as in {HYPERLINK "C:Presentation.pps" l 123.} though unless the 123 in your example is a bookmark, I can't see how you'd be able to have the link to identify a specific slide whose position in the presentation might change.

Cheers

PS: The '-3' & '#3' issue is one I came across in a post in the Powerpoint forum some time ago, so I thought it might have been applicable here - turns out it isn't.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]