2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

self executing database (Access 2000)

After developing a few databases I feel that it is time I tried to make them into EXE files, but I am not sure how.

I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: self executing database (Access 2000)

I'm afraid that there is no easy way of converting an Access database into an executable. The options you have are:
    <UL><LI>Create an .mde file (you already tried this one). Users won't be able to view or edit the design of forms, reports and modules.
    <LI>Implement user-level security. This means that users will have to log into the database with a user name and password. The developer can specify exactly what each user can and can't do in the database. You can download a useful document about security from <!mskb=165009>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 165009<!/mskb>.
    <LI>Distribute a runtime version of Access. You need to have Office Developer Edition for this. Meant to make a database available to users who don't have the full version of Access; it doesn't modify the database itself - it'll still be an .mdb or .mde.
    <LI>Create an executable with the VB6 compiler (or Visual C++, or ...) You will have to create the entire application from scratch; there is no way you can convert Access forms and reports to VB6. There are many things that you can do in Access forms that are much more difficult to implement in VB6 forms.[/list]If I forgot an option, others will jump in.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: self executing database (Access 2000)

There actually is a program called AccessToVB that converts applications from Access to VB, but you have to be a competent VB programmer to make use of the results because not everything translates and it doesn't always get it right. It is also a fairly pricey program.
    Charlotte