2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Multi Tables (2000)

I have a form set for Data Entry that updates the maser table [Locations] by adding a new row and assigning an AutoNumber to that row whice is the Primary Key. I have a second table with a one-to-one relationship on that primary key. The relationship is set with Cascade Update Related Fields.

While I can add rows to the [locations] table , how do I get the new row to also add a new row to the [LeaseTbl]?
    There is always a way.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update Multi Tables (2000)

Is there a specific reason for having two tables with a one-to-one relationship? Unless you really need a humongous number of fields, or your record size is very large, it is much easier to keep all fields in one table. With two separate tables, you always run the danger that their synchronization goes wrong.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A humongus number of fields is an understatement.

There are countless fields that I am updating in a few categories and when I reached the limitin one table I added the new.

Yes - synchronization went very wrong.
    There is always a way.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Cascading updates doesn't mean what you think it does. It just means that if a key is changed, the change will be cascaded to the subordinate records, not that a new subordinate record will be created automatically, You won't get the matching ID until you create a record in the second table as well by entering some other data into it. The relationshp defines how records in the two tables connect to one another, so you have to create a record on both sides before it works.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>when I reached the limitin one table I added the new<hr>
    That sounds like a very bad design, indeed! The purpose of a table is to hold one *kind* data. If you are reaching the "limit" on fields in a table, you need to do some basic study on normalization and redesign this before it gets any worse.
    Charlotte