3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format Cells as Currency (XP)

Hi

I have a Table with a Column of Cells that I'd like to be formatted as currency, but after checking the HELP Files, I can't find out how this can be done.

In WordPerfect, there's a special Table Menu Item (Numeric Format), but I can't find a corresponding Menu Item in Word. I see that there's a Formula Menu Item, which has a 'Number Format', but you can't simply select this without adding a Formula or Paste Function.

I'm hoping I'm just stupid and that there is a way to Format Table Cells as currency, but that I'm just missing it.

Any help or advice would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format Cells as Currency (XP)

Word is not Excel. If you enter something in a table cell, it's text, even if it looks like a number.
    Word has limited formula options in tables, but if you really want to do Excel-like things in Word, I suggest that create and format the table in Excel, then copy it to Word.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. Thanks for clarifying that.

I just thought that b/c WordPerfect could do it, Word would have been able to do it too.

I guess that's another one up for WordPerfect! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There is one thing that you can do with Find/Replace & with decimal tabs. IF your numbers are all with 2 decimals & you want to line them up on the decimal point & place a dollar sign in front, you can do this:

1. Select your table column.
    2. Press Ctrl+H to bring up the Replace dialog box.
    3. Click "More" & then "Use wildcards".
    4. Find: ([0-9]{1,}.[0-9]{2})
    Replace: $ 1

This finds any number of digits 0-9, followed by a period, followed by 2 numbers. When you click "Replace all", it's replaced by a $, a space, & then itself.

5. With the column still selected, click on the very left of the ruler until the tab marker looks like an upside down T with a dot. That's the decimal tab.
    6. Then click on the ruler where you want the decimal point to line up. Word will line up the numbers without you manually having to put a tab in each cell.

Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil.

I'm used to Word making me jump through hoops, as opposed to WordPerfect, where everything is simple, but that's just a little too much jumping for me! As an alternative workaround, we copied the column into Excel, used Excel's currency format, then copied the column back into Word.

I do genuinely appreciate the effort you put into posting that reply. Thanks muchly. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]