Tony Gater

Arcserve & win98

Does anyone use Arcserve 6.1 server from a Win98 PC? I find that after a restore or back up I cannot exit Win98 cleanly as the Arcserve close down won't let go of the PC system and hangs, this is annoying as I have to switch off to reboot and of course Scandisk then runs. I have no immediate access to the Novell server to do the back up or restore there apart from scheduler and real time menu options.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Arcserve & win98

What flavour of Netware and which client are you running?

I've got 3.12 and 4.11 servers with Novell's 32-bit Client 2.2. We have intermittent problems which I think are related to the client. Unfortunately we are locked into the client because of the primary application.
    Granville

Tony Gater

Granville:
    Thanks for replying, I'll check the Novell client version on Monday as I'm not at work right now. I've tried the FAQ's at CA and our own IT section but so far no one can come up with why it hangs on close down, had no probs with previous version, liked that better.
    Tony Gater

Tony Gater

Hi sorry about the delay: family emergency, I am using Novell server 3.12 Novell client32 3.1.0.0 with SP2 and arcserve 6.1. The win machine is a Dell 64mb memory 4.6 gig hd. The server is a Compaq Proliant. Problem is with win 98 when exiting arcserve the PC temporarily freezes but will then allow shut down only (not any thing else), this however displays the shut down screen but then everything locks up no more keyboard activity is available.
    Solution:- the old IT solution - "switch it off."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tony,

Got snowed under, something to do with me taking 3 weeks off from this Friday.

I know we're aren't supposed to bag name brands, but I have found some quirks with Dell PCs, which I can demonstrate to anyone who wants to pay me a site visit.

Don't remember the exact problem but I couldn't get any of our Dells to behave properly with ARCServe so it was replaced with a Compaq. I also found Novell client2.2 was more stable with ARCServe. This combo worked fine with Netware 3.12.

BTW I have a whole new set of problems with Netware 4.11 and ARCServe, should you be looking to upgrade your NOS.
    Granville