Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spontaneous Reboot (XP Pro SP1)

My computer has started randomly rebooting. No rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. I haven't installed anything new, or changed anything recently, and everything has been fine until today. Today it has rebooted itself at least three times, without any prior warning that anything was wrong.

I'm running Win XP pro and, according to Windows Update, I've installed all necc patches.

Any suggestions?

many thanks,
    Abe Zablocki

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spontaneous Reboot (XP Pro SP1)

Abe, what's probably happening is a blue screen that you're not being allowed to see. Microsoft has decided that when a STOP error occurs that the system should reboot. Maddening, it is, but you need to know what that STOP code is. So, disable this behavior: Press the Windows Key + Break or go to Start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance and click on System (this is assuming you have the default view of the Control Panel in XP).

When System Properties opens, click on the Advanced tab and then Settings under Startup and Recovery. In the middle of the dialog that appears, under System Failure, clear the check in the box next to Automatically Restart. You'll need to reboot for this to take effect, and the next time the system halts you will see a blue screen with white letters reading STOP: {error message} {hexadecimal code}. Write this down. You can search the Microsoft Knowledgebase for these errors and get some pointers on resolving them. Of course, don't hesitate to visit the Lounge with any questions either. Addtionally, you might want to look at the Event Viewer by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Manage. Note any errors with a red flag next to them.

Likely causes of failures like this are system drivers - video in particular - that aren't playing nice. If you've recently updated any software, you might consider rolling it back using the driver rollback feature or System Restore. Then, carefully and one at a time, apply the patches again and observe the system's stability.
    -Mark

Thanks

This usually occurs when there is a corrupt or "flaky" system file that causes the system to stop or halt.
    Right click on My Computer, then properties | advanced | startup & recovery | settings. Under system failure, see if "auto restart" is unchecked. You can also check "write an event to system log" which may give you a clue as to what is causing your restarts. See if that comes up with something and post back.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Have you checked your CPU Fan to make sure it's running correctly and not overheating your CPU. Check all cables and cards to make sure they are secure. Have you tried a system Restore to an Earlier Date?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the swift responses!

So far (knock on wood), the overheated CPU hypothesis seems to have done the trick. Or at least doing a complete shutdown and letting the darn thing cool off for awhile seems to have done the trick.

As a precaution I've adopted the other suggestions given (boy would knowing about how to get the Stop ID# to Stop disappearing from my screen have saved me about a week of computer aggravation once upon a time! Sigh...), but hopefully they won't be needed.

Many thanks to all, and I'll post back if the problem resumes.

warm regards,
    Abe Zablocki

Banned Member
    Thanks

You need to replace your Heat Sink Fan before it causes damage to your Proccessor.